Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Data use

Any estimates on general data usage chaps? ...4G in the new motor so I've bought a couple of 3 12gb data sims and would like a rough estimate on how long they will last in normal everyday use.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I would say the 12Gb should last a long time based on the car's usage (probably as long as the SIM remains valid if it is a year from memory). Of course if you have people hammering the wifi hotspot then considerably less, but even using Sat Imagery it really doesn't use much. I also haven't used any of the music streaming apps (but I suspect they use the phones connection anyway).

Mine won't connect at all right now otherwise I would check, but I am still on the same one with plenty to spare from my March delivered call and about 12k miles.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

I got one, and over nine months have used very little.

However, I've found the 3 service to be dreadful. It often takes a very long time to connect - or rather it connects, then disconnects, then connects again....repeat. Did that for almost an hour and a half the other day driving to Theifrow.

Now put in a Vodafone SIM, and it is clearly not a fault of the cars.....
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have used 3GB of the 12GB since March last year.

That is for live maps, etc and a small amount of hotspot use.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

The D5 uses hardly anything. No issues with 3 at my end. Of course used as a hotspot data will be eaten faster. Just get a good pre loaded PAYG and bin it when it runs out and buy another one. I git 24GB for about £30 from Amazon.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Thanks all ...looks as though I'll be ok for a while in that case Smile
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Mine has been in since March last year and had no issues with 3 it also seems to not use much data despite kids connecting to it, cannot check as it is in for 1st service and software updates, plus new door handle caps

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 

winger wrote:
    I got one, and over nine months have used very little.

However, I've found the 3 service to be dreadful. It often takes a very long time to connect - or rather it connects, then disconnects, then connects again....repeat. Did that for almost an hour and a half the other day driving to Theifrow.

Now put in a Vodafone SIM, and it is clearly not a fault of the cars.....

Did you find a Vodafone SIM with a similar deal, PAYG for me expired too soon and I didn't want a contract. The 3 SIM worked fine for me, bit recently I have seen the symptoms you describe so I wonder if it is the car. I have the same sim in my iPad and it works fine.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

The 3 sim worked fine until about a month ago - it's not a signal issue, as for the brief time it connects, the signal is good. I don't think it is the car, as the next journey it can be fine.

I just got had a spare PAYG Vodafone SIM, so I've stuck £5 on it, and I will not set it up as the same on a monthly basis - that gives 100mb/month. I'll see how that goes, and it can be set up to renew automatically.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 

Thanks - exactly the same happened to mine, but now I cannot get a connection at all. I will try another SIM in and see what happens.

Neil
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Call Three and give them the SIM number they can check if its still active or not.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Can i just ask, Which SIM i need for my soon to be delivered HSE Whistle How Biggly and how much,

And will my phone work paired to the vehicle whilst the SIM is in there or will that take priority over a paired device. I've a 13 Year old who's Data Hungry plus i'd like the mapping extras,

Thanks,
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Car has WiFi when the sim is inserted so your phone will Bluetooth to the car and also connect to the car WiFi. Your son can simply connect to the WiFi
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Thanks, So what size Data SIM ? Can i buy one loaded up with £25 worth of Data.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum