Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Rodisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Keyless. Entry

Thought this may of interest. The Car tested was a Land Rover Discovery 2018 model.

CLUB NEWS: SECURITY RISKS FOR KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEMS REMAIN HIGH, REPORTS ADAC

18-04-2018

The Allgemeine Deutsche Automobil-Club (ADAC) has tested 108 keyless entry systems and the LandRover Discovery 2018 is the only car with keyless entry to be protected from hacking.

Using the ADAC devices, it was neither possible to unlock the LandRover illegally nor to drive off in it. According to the manufacturer, the 2018 Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Jaguar E-Pace models are also equipped with this technology. However, the retrofitting of other models is not possible.

It is much easier for thieves to steal a keyless vehicle – where the driver keeps the key fob pocketed – than a vehicle with a conventional remote key fob. Using a self-constructed wireless extender, it took the ADAC engineers only seconds to open the cars equipped with keyless entry systems and drive off in them. The tests left no visible traces of a break-in or theft.

Because of their obvious security flaws, comfort keys are worryingly easy prey for thieves: it is an easy task to extend the range of the wireless communication between the key fob and the car by up to one kilometre. And this regardless of whether the original key fob is at home or in the car owner’s pocket. Plus, the thieves thus usually also disable immobilisers and alarm systems. The ADAC experts believe that off-the-shelf electronic components are all it takes to easily build your own car theft device. Further models are tested on an ongoing basis.

ADAC advises its members to take extra care when it comes to storing their key fob. ADAC calls upon carmakers to systematically protect all vehicle electronic systems against theft, as has been standard practice in the IT industry for a long time – ideally in a manner allowing neutral verification, e.g. via Common Criteria. And they should fix/retrofit affected vehicles as soon as possible.
  • Craigp
    England 

As it's Land Rover software it probably froze whilst doing the test. They are still trying to get into it even with the key. Laughing
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Smile
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I bought these to protect my keys:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076V6...&psc=1

They actually work a treat, once the keys are in these and its closed, it creates a faraday cage and the signal can't get out! They are quite small, so I can only get my D5 key in one (I have 3 other keys on the key fob)

Bought a total of 4, so I can put spare keys and my wife car keys in them.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Do we know if the 2018 model uses different keyless tech to the 2017 model ?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

The keys definitely look very different. The 2017 model is rounded, a bit like a Disco Sport one. However the 2018 one is slightly bigger and squarer than the 2017 one. Same 4 buttons
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Sure - but is it a different system or just a new key design ?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, a good question! No idea... Confused
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Even if the 2018MY has a different system, it wont take long before that systemn is breached, that's the way vehicle security has been since the late 80's, every time a new alarm or immobiser is revealed there's a cheat to circumvent the security.

The key's themselves emit a constant RF signature, i was told recently that this can be grabbed and replicated with not much more than basic componenets some wire and a Pringle crisp tube acting as a dish.

Quite frankly, that's pathetic Shocked

I awoke last week to a knock on my door, my neighbour had his BMW stripped of it's Front & Rear bumpers, seats, dash, steering wheel, the lot !
    Taped up his lights so they wouldnt flash and activate, then set about stripping it. same method used to grab the code from his keys from within the house and amplify the signal to pop the doors.

I do have a Black Matter ipad case that i keep my key's in "If i remember" Rolling Eyes

But an Old holborn tin or an altoids tin works just as well. Thumbs Up

DO NOT do what my mate did, came home from work late, chucked his keys in the oven, Because that's like a Faraday cage apparently....... Hey presto....... wife turns oven on, shortly afterwards "ere, What's that smell" ?

Rolling with laughter

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

LOL Rolling with laughter

Bet thats bought up everytime theres an argument!
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Chalkys HSE wrote:

The key's themselves emit a constant RF signature, i was told recently that this can be grabbed and replicated with not much more than basic componenets some wire and a Pringle crisp tube acting as a dish.

Seems that the new tech on the D5 can work out the distance the signal has had to travel from the key even if it's been boosted by a thief gadget ....if it's over a prescribed distance then the system shuts off. This means I guess that you truly have to be stood next to the motor for the key to operate.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Assume the buttons still work at distance ?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Rodisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

If you can read German go to the zADAC web site, there is a great deal more info on the testing they have done and how. For once it may be unbreakable no promises. ADAC are renowned for their testing and results. Everything known has failed to break in. It is a new Sytstem on 2018 models completely new, older versions cannot be updated.

Please dont shoot the messenger, I am only trying to provide some very up to date information. Let’s hope it proves to be correct for a reasonable time, it needs to be!!

Rodney
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

I’m pretty sure if LR wanted to fit it to older vehicles it could be done. It’s a transmitter and receiver and new key. Unless it’s all buried deep in the D5 and inaccessible there’s no reason why it couldn’t be done.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I can confirm that it works on a MY18.

My car is still on my drive...

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum