↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• vineetnangia
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Phase 4 Update - 18C: Apple CarPlay Issue with iPhone XS

Subject: Phase 4 Update - 18C: Apple CarPlay Issue with iPhone XS

Issue
    ======
    When we connect apple CarPlay and then pull the cable out to disconnect phone (instead LR icon on CarPlay display). Does anyone of your screen freezes (bricks!) ? and then you connect back again nothing happens
    Has anyone had this kind of experience with apple CarPlay ?

Cause
    =======
    My new iPhone XS with Landrover Phase 4 Update - 18C causes Infotainment (ICTP) Bricks out when cable is pulled out in between when CarPlay is on screen . It doesn’t happens with iPhone 7 and iPhone 5S with latest iOS version 12.0.1
    Has anyone experienced this ?
    Anyway I will log a ticket with Topix and iOS Dev team. Mainly fault lies with Apple

Workaround for iPhone XS: None. Shut the car, lock and wait for 5 mins for system to reboot Sad
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Sorry but why does the fault lie with Apple?

They are very clear on their developer guidelines. If JLR don’t follow them then they will see issues. Same for any company using another’s API’s. JLR are known to be poor at entertainment software. That’s why ICTP is such a quagmire of issues even after a good few years of trying to get it to work.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Because even Apple are not perfect? Version 12.0.1 fixes their bugs in the initial release.

This could be their problem.
  • vineetnangia
    United Kingdom 

I have contacted the Apple Support, they are clear with their guideline as mentioned by simonh.

Apple simply said on their chat support, they don't have any Land Rover supporting document for CARPLAY! (common what JLR is doing just making luxury cars with no brains!)?

I have tried with iPhone 7 and iPhone 5S, carplay perfectly works and disconnecting the cable while carplay screen is on....no issues with old phones.

i have to admit. JLR are poor in software support.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

@ vineetnangia a question a bit off subject but i am curious... does you D5 have the digital speedo? if so what does it show when you are running CP and google maps, or Waze, or maps? does it still give u the option to have the nav on the screen? and music? thanks

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

There is no vehicle specific documentation for CarPlay.

Apple provide a set of API’s for vehicle manufacturers to use to support CarPlay. If the vehicle manufacturer doesn’t adhere to these then that’s not Apple’s fault. Exactly the same for Android Auto.

I’ve used an iPhone 7 Plus, 8, X and XS Max in a Ford Fiesta. All work the same. No issues.

I’d look to JLR for issues perhaps Whistle

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    Because even Apple are not perfect? Version 12.0.1 fixes their bugs in the initial release.

This could be their problem.

As with any manufacturer they issue point releases to fix bugs. Nothing new here.

Problem is LR have issued many updates to their ICTP and still it’s a mess of bugs. They can’t even get reliable media port connected phones to work for music. The system forgets phones that have previously been paired over Bluetooth many times.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • vineetnangia
    United Kingdom 

simonh how we can log this kind of issue with JLR?

I don't want to go to dealer first, they don't know anything.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Simply put. You can’t. JLR seem to be incapable of listening or interacting with their customers. They will never admit an issue. Period.

Look at the Disco Sports B Pillar issue. Not at any time did they admit there’s and issue to customers. They issued 8 versions of their TSB to ‘fix’ the manufacturing fault. It wasn’t until MY18 cars (4 years later) that the fault appears to have gone. Yet they continue to not admit there’s an issue.

They have also steadfastly refuses to admit publicly the oil dilution issues the 2L Ingenium has in the DS. And seemingly so with the 3L D5. Yet a document (internal) clearly states and describes the issue to dealers.

Go figure !

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • vineetnangia
    United Kingdom 

sent email to lradvice (incontrol support says) i agree with you simonh. But we as customer paid for this beast to get best driving experience and we are in 2018. they should admit their fault.
  • vineetnangia
    United Kingdom 

@achichon: no i don't have digital speedo
  • vineetnangia
    United Kingdom 

simonh wrote:
    Simply put. You can’t. JLR seem to be incapable of listening or interacting with their customers. They will never admit an issue. Period.

Look at the Disco Sports B Pillar issue. Not at any time did they admit there’s and issue to customers. They issued 8 versions of their TSB to ‘fix’ the manufacturing fault. It wasn’t until MY18 cars (4 years later) that the fault appears to have gone. Yet they continue to not admit there’s an issue.

They have also steadfastly refuses to admit publicly the oil dilution issues the 2L Ingenium has in the DS. And seemingly so with the 3L D5. Yet a document (internal) clearly states and describes the issue to dealers.

Go figure !

Yes i had the same issue in 2016 with Disco Sport 65 plate - B Pillar Issue. I came from Jaguar XF to 7 seater Disco Sport. now all new Discovery and now realising the bigger is better but these are only beast with no brains (poor technology).

Learnt a lot and now the relationship with my existing dealer are mature enough to make them understand the service level issues. So I will still argue with them why such kind of issues with surrounding smart technology are capable enough and JLR isn't?
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Damn it Sad anyone got a digital speedo and updated to carplay???

vineetnangia wrote:
    @achichon: no i don't have digital speedo

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • vineetnangia
    United Kingdom 

simonh wrote:

Go figure !

@simonh

*****Update 17 OCT 18******
    After toggling between Apple Support and LR Support. I can't find any reason to blame on Phase 4 Update - 18C. This is the system mostly have the bug fixes. This time culprit was Apple iCloud Backup which has been carried along from iPhone 7, iPhone 8 to iPhone XS and Apple Support concluded that iCloud backup has been corrupt which is causing the InControl Touch Pro to freeze and not charginge at second time when un-plug the cable during the operation of CarPlay.

Hence, I have to Restore the iPhone as New Phone and manually add all third party apps one by one.

As a new phone no more issue and enjoying the drive with Apple CarPlay

Next expectation for another stable update for Phase 4 or Phase 5 is "Wireless Apple Carplay" and "Wireless Charging"

ISSUE RESOLVED
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Ha! ha! LR in the clear for once. Whistle
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum