Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Black trim scratched at rear

So picked it up Friday and noticed the black trims are slightly scuffed/scratched.

I am pushing for a new bumper but it’s unlikely as they are minor.

They want to repair but I don’t want them to just stick some back to black or silicone on them and be done.

Has anyone had a successful repair on black trim?

Thanks

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • Simon S
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

SMART repairs are quite impressive usually - see what you think of the repair and if it isn't satisfactory then push for the replacement bumper.
    In reality if they had spotted the scuffs themselves (which they should have on the PDI) then they would have done the repair without telling you before collection I guess!!

Simon S
    3.0 HSE SDV6 Commercial in Carpathian Grey
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Re: Black trim scratched at rear

JackNorris wrote:
    So picked it up Friday and noticed the black trims are slightly scuffed/scratched.

I am pushing for a new bumper but it’s unlikely as they are minor.

They want to repair but I don’t want them to just stick some back to black or silicone on them and be done.

Has anyone had a successful repair on black trim?

Thanks

Are thes the gloss black ones or the naturally plastic finish.

Either way they are both very soft and mark/scratch very easily Big Cry

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Thanks both, these are the naturally black ones.

i didnt let them put the car anywhere near the wash bay/valeteers and will let my detailer do it next week.

Although, that said, the car hasnt been washed yet and i still spotted them...

We are having a discussion tonight, think ill let them repair once, and if its faulty, they can replace.

Got this and the cubby on rear of centre console to discuss.

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

If its the Piano Black trim Jack. Meguitres Ultimate Compound will fetch them up very nicely - I've used it on mine

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Jevs
    United Kingdom 

Hi,

what was the outcome of the scratches ?

After a couple of weeks , whilst washing mine, the hosepipe rubbed the rear nearside corner cap. Like yours it is virgin plastic.

Spoke to a few of the smart repair companies (and those in the plastic industry ..especially bumpers..) and have been told that "repair" is not possible.

For now, I'm living with the scratches and being very careful with the hosepipe !

J
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Yeh they attempted it and although improved I could still see marks elsewhere.

They wanted to send it to a bodyshop which at 3 days old I wasn't having. With silicone on it you cant see them so im living with it Smile

• milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

try Gtechniq C4 permanent trim restorer. THE best stuff, lasts for 6mths +, makes it black, not grey, clean finish, no grease. Seriously, amazing stuff. I got 30ml on amazon, did it last week and all the trim, including black plastics in door well look amazing.

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • alex
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

al cope wrote:
    If its the Piano Black trim Jack. Meguitres Ultimate Compound will fetch them up very nicely - I've used it on mine

Al

Al, I saw your message above about the Meguiars Ultimate Compound on the piano black trim. I have swirl marks on the pillars that are piano black (dynamic pack). Did that stuff get rid of them? Also, by hand or machine?

Photo kind of shows it.....
  • alex
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Photo didnt attach!

• JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

No, they probably need a machine polish with a cutting compound, the trims are just plastic and can be dressed

• MURPHY108
    United Kingdom 

Well after trying to polish out the swirls on the black trims and already managing to scratch one of the front door trims, I've had all the pillars wrapped in Xpel pain protection film.

Really pleased...you can't tell it's on and it gives the black a really deep shine , also had the sliding cup holder thingy coated as the finger prints and scratches were driving me mad.

Saw a demo of the self healing properties and it looks impressive.

Will take some pictures when it's been washed if anyone's interested Very Happy
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

pictures would be great - sounds interesting!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • MURPHY108
    United Kingdom 

They actually look better than they did when they were fitted. Sorry hard to get a picture without reflections.

Really pleased Very Happy - one or two small bubbles but they say that should come out once the sun gets to it, Since it was done on Thursday they've almost gone if not they will replace.

They didn't want to do the rest of the centre console without removing it as they use a lot of solution to apply the film and they were worried about the electrics

i'd polished out the scratches on the B pillar as much is could but even where i couldn't get them perfect you can't see any marks because of the film.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

That looks great, very shiny!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum