Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Thanks winger. Thumbs Up
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Ok, just back from the dealers. The official answer is that the UK spec does what winger posted.

The guys at Aylesbury were great and dug out the wiring diagrams to show me that it really is meant to be like that even if Land Rover Assist and whoever he spoke to in Technical Support said otherwise!

What they did say is that they would submit an EPQR (I think that's what they called it) that's an Electronic Product Quality Report which is how customers can feedback to Land Rover that the product didn't meet their expectations. Land Rover aren't going to act on a single report but if we all submit them they might look at this.

I really do feel that the current set-up is pretty poor and it wouldn't take much to improve it.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

That's the North American version. It may well be a different part number altogether though, so (again) a software update wouldn't resolve.

Whilst small, the current mini stop light must meet EU standards.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Quote:
    Whilst small, the current mini stop light must meet EU standards.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/12/made

6.  Size of illuminated area:   No requirement

I'm staggered but you can literally get away with a single LED it would seem...
  • Edfors
    Sweden 

Thank you for illustrating, now we know there is a difference on the market configurations on the image I posted and the OP. So, this is an opportunity for a modification! Thumbs Up

Who will the first to change to NA spec brake lights? Does is just require change of cluster or CCF modification?

Last edited by Edfors on 20th Mar 2017 8:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

I'd rather they just fixed the lights I have. Crying or Very sad
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

So I wonder what LR would say when people start getting stopped by the Police or are involved in an accident where some one runs into the back of you Whistle

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

Hi,

Just in from my Dealers:-

Click image to enlarge

ITEM DESCRIPTION
    1 Side marker lamp
    2 Turn signal indicator
    3 Tail lamp
    4 Tail lamp
    5 Reverse lamp
    6 Stop lamp
    7 Tail lamp
    8 Electrical connector
    The tail lamp assembly is a two piece unit. The tail lamp assembly - outer is fixed to the body of the vehicle and the tail lamp assembly - inner is fixed to the tailgate.
    The tail lamp assemblies have the following functions:
     Tail lamp assembly - outer: Tail/Turn signal indicator and stop lamp
     Tail lamp assembly - inner: Tail and reverse lamp
    The tail lamp assembly - outer is located in a recess in the vehicle body and the tail lamp assembly - inner in a recess in the tailgate.
    REAR STOP/TAIL LAMPS
    The stop lamp is a Light Emitting Diode (LED) and is activated when the ignition is in ignition power mode 6 or above and the stop lamp switch is active (by depressing the brake pedal). The High Mounted Stop Lamp (HMSL) will also be activated when the brake pedal is pressed. The stop lamps can also be activated by the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) control module. The ABS control module sends a FlexRay message to the Body Control Module/Gateway Module (BCM/GWM) assembly which supplies power to the stop lamps and HMSL.
    For additional information, refer to: Braking Control System (206-11 Brake Controls, Description and Operation).
    The tail lamps are operated by selecting side lamps or headlamps on the lighting control switch. The tail lamps can be switched on at all times and are not dependent on power mode. The tail lamps will also be illuminated when the lighting control switch is in the 'AUTO' position and a 'lights on' signal is received by the BCM/GWM assembly from the rain/light sensor.
    TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR
    The turn signal indicator is a Light Emitting Diode (LED) and located next to the tail lamp.
    The turn signal indicators are operated by the left steering column multifunction switch or by the hazard warning lamp switch. The left steering column multifunction switch is only active with the ignition in power mode 6, the hazard warning lamp switch is active at all times. When active, the turn signal indicators will flash at a frequency cycle of 400ms on 400ms off.

Bottom line - Lights are functioning "as intended".

Scrumps

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • J77
    Scotland 

I followed one yesterday and although the brake lights are small I was still able to see them clearly enough, though it does seem odd to have such small brake lights on a big car especially with large light clusters.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Scrumps - "functioning as intended" - agreed but that doesn't mean it has to remain that way.

The picture you posted is the same diagram that Aylesbury showed me. You will note that "2 Turn signal indicator" only points to the outer portion and at no point is the tailgate portion shown as being part of the indicator - but we all know it works like that.

I'm therefore hopeful that just because "6 Stop lamp" is shown as pointing to the outer portion it doesn't mean that the tailgate portion cannot be used.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

This gets better and better...

Went to tow the caravan tonight (we head off on holiday tomorrow) and the tow bar won't deploy. The tow bar icon no longer appears on the info screen either. Not impressed at all. We're on our 3rd Land Rover assist callout and the car has also been back to the dealer - we've only had the thing 10 days!

So far this car has been nothing but trouble and it's not helped by Land Rover Assist sending people out who have computer tablets that don't have new enough software to talk to the Discovery 5. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
  • PaulProDev
    United Kingdom 

Presumably it has just failed with no warning which is a big worry because we go to France and Spain towing. I guess I'll just leave it deployed all the time we are away for fear of failure. Please post how you get on with the repair.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

I'm told a service bulletin arrived at the Dealers today clarifying that the lights are supposed to look like that. Nowhere on it does it explain why they are supposed to look like that or why they made them less safe.
  • J77
    Scotland 

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Grianaig
    Scotland 

Is that side lights off, brake lights on?

MY 2014 D4 Indus XS
    MY2006 D3 Zermatt S Manual
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum