Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

DieselRanger wrote:
    SD6 is being replaced with the MHEV inline-6.

Unfortunately we here in the US and A will not be seeing any diesels going forward....

Beyond annoying. This country is silly when it comes to consumer diesel. Sad (to be fair, apparently Canada isn't getting the MHEV diesels either)

There was a video of a supposed a Defender test mule with diesel exhausts on it. So it looks like they may be testing something. it's just late.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

One can dream. The UK website for JLR does imply it was designed to meet world standards.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The R-dynamic HSE works out cheaper than my MY19 (not that I paid the list price, obv). The advanced tow assist seems to be available with the electrically deployable towbar, but no mention of adaptive dynamics? Can't tell if it is deleted or standard now.

Andrew
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

From the videos that it sounds like adaptive dynamics is standard. Which would be a very good move.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

It probably is a good move; I have it but it's hard to compare as you can't switch it off

Andrew
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Looks like adaptive dynamics and the surround cameras are standard, and the low range gearbox is optional. Seems like the standard spec is being more road biased, and you need to spec options to get the off-road capability.

I'm seeing well over £70K on the configurator for an R-Dynamic HSE with a towbar, off road pack, and a couple of extras like roof bars, activity key, and privacy glass. That's a lot, at least £10K more than where I would want my Discovery to be... Think I'll be sticking with what I've got for a while Smile
  • Whippetman
    England 

Me too Thumbs Up

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

New model is also has a cheaper first tax cost. Would that be because of the mild hybrid?

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Chaos_theory - agree that it’s hard to compare as you can’t switch it off. My first D5 did me a favour in that respect, though. It sat down for a few weeks, enabling me to put a few hundred miles on a SD6 and almost 2k on a SD4, both without adaptive dynamics. The difference on roundabouts and, especially, winding country roads was pronounced.

Do like the look of the facelift when it comes to the tech inside and the new drivetrains. I’m glad for the residual values that they’ve not messed much with the looks.

Seem to be a lot less interior colour choices, though. Unless that’s because I only checked out a R-Dynamic HSE.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • eelpout
    United States 

can anyone confirm that the camera system in the D5 refresh will be the same as the new Defender? I saw that the undercarriage view is there, but not necessarily the "3D spinner" view.

And has anyone seen the Charente Grey color chit? Wonder if it's brownish as it seems on my monitor.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Newbie here, just placed an order for a D300 R-Dynamic (details in the orders section of this forum). Things that swayed me over a Q7 or XC90:

- New engines with MHEV tech, decent power, good MPG, low emissions, lower NOx, and hopefully no oil dilation or crank issues!
    - Great VFM on cost v standard kit v competition. Pan roof, surround camera, adaptive cruise, blind spot, cooled seats, bigger wheels etc
    - Wireless CarPlay
    - The tech/luxury

All in all I think this is a really decent refresh/facelift, eradicating the ageing/broken bits of the Disco.

JLR have won back at least one customer here, so they must have done something right Thumbs Up
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Had a play on the configurator just now. Really disappointing range of interior colours (two!). Appreciate that’s not a problem if you want black or beige anyway.

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

This afternoon my dealer emailed me a video of him walking around their very first MY21 Disco 5 demonstrator, fresh off the trailer,

He made me the video to give game a flavour of what to expect when my order arrives in March/April.

Out of respect to him, and also because the video contains personal information about me, I won't post the video itself, but I've taken some screenshots from key areas and posted them below for everybody to see as I'm sure you'll find them interesting.

Bear in mind it was fresh off the transporter so covered in the protective wrapping on the pillars, and still jacked up, and not got centre caps in etc.

Their car is a D250 SE R-Dynamic, so it's only sat on 21's and doesn't have Matrix headlights, therefore different to the HSE D300 I've ordered, but it's a good indicator of what's to come, such as the positioning of the front indicators which was a surprise!

I can't say I'm a fan of the steering wheel, it has polished spokes! Shocked

But the big thing he firmly says in the video is the how quiet the new engine is. His words "it is noticeably VERY quieter compared to the outgoing V6, the difference is striking!"

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I know what you mean about the steering wheel those metal bits will be very cold to touch in winter especially if you haven't specced a heated steering wheel.
    What colour is that by the way?

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

BigCol66 wrote:
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. I know what you mean about the steering wheel those metal bits will be very cold to touch in winter especially if you haven't specced a heated steering wheel.
    What colour is that by the way?

Horrible isn't it. I'm not impressed at all, I'm going to explore the possibility of having the polished bits on mine wrapped matt/satin. I've specced the heated steering wheel, so I'm not too worried about the cold of the metal, but the appearance is a big turn off Shocked

He said it's Hakuba Silver.

Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum