Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Got a bit of trail damage

Nothing critical, only noticed it today as I was washing it after a hike and a drive yesterday in the mountains above Colorado Springs.

Went for a quick climb up Mt Rosa (pointy peak in the background), starting from about 10,000 feet and on up to the summit at 11,495. Quick hike, had some extra time so I went for a drive up Almagre Mountain, which is mostly an easy track with a couple fun pitches where you need the air suspension up, and you get up to about the same elevation. (Video link - not mine, someone else). Imagine the same trail with more rocks and a nice big gully down the middle of it, as if the roadbed had eroded downward about a foot, which it has since this video was apparently made. I also had it in low range and rock crawl mode, just to exercise the gearbox. Twas a Sunday drive in that mode - a few points where a corner might be skyward for a bit, dragged the belly once, but the Disco never hesitated or slipped.

My only mistake was on the descent at the top - I believe my wheel placement was a bit off on the right front corner on one step, and I either grazed a rock or turned it over, flipping it into my wheel and then in the lower front corner of the door on the right side. Oh well, now it has "character." I don't think rock sliders would have helped me, but they may have taken the rock after it flipped off the wheel, which also got some rock rash. Good thing the panels are aluminum - no worries about rust.

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

in her element and being used, tis just a scratch!

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

wasn't today was Saturday, but towed 1800kg of caravan back from Switzerland, 650 miles home (having started the day before in Tuscany)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Following Mrs home over the weekend, I noticed that both back boxes were quite rusty, with surface rust, and looked unsightly. Never noticed before. So a quick trip to Halfords today, and this is end result. The tow bar has also gone from pure black to a light greyish purple look, so attacked that as well. 3 coats on each, after prepping the areas and wiping with white spirit. Well pleased with the outcome.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 21st Aug 2019 10:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Gosh, you went to some trouble!

Spent the day cutting the grass and covered the car with clippings - it’s still there and will be until it rains! Laughing
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

DD, it only took 1 hour max.
    Paint dried after 5 mins, so waited 15 mins between each coat to prevent running or drips. Withstands up too 600 degrees and bonds better when it heats up.
    Car is needing a good clean inside and out, now that the kids are back at school, it's a job for the weekend. I thought I would do the external painting before the internal vacuuming and external wash wax and polish. Also took your advice and made a template for the rubber mat for the 3rd row seats Thumbs Up
    I would have thought the exhausts would have had a better finish. Last thing I want is to be forking out for new back boxes. I was a bit shocked at the amount of rust as both were quite bad. Why LR dont properly underseal the body at the factory is beyond me. Seems the underside components are only coated once with a thin layer of the cheapest paint Rolling Eyes
    (Ended up wax oiling the underside of the D2 we had years ago as the chassis and brake lines etc were known for corroding badly).

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, only kidding. That said I’ve has two other recent and new LRs that have had paint peel off the back box. Not sure it dies any harm, but looks untidy.

Picking up SWMBOs new car on 1/9, so should be interesting to compare.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Congrats DD, what are you getting?

Apologies a bit off track, but took my previous exhausts out the garage as putting them up for sale, as am picking up brand new car on 1st Sept as well.

Anyway just a comparison of how well these have fared compared to the D5 ones.

I remember the D1 that I inherited from my dad in my uni days, the exhaust broke off after only 3 years from new whilst I was in Turkey. With no replacement nearby the local chop shop simply welded on the back box from a normal car. Sounded awful. My point is that normal cars seem to be far better protected and undersealed than LR which are likely to encounter a whole lot more harsher terrain and environment. Maybe its to do with the different gradings of mild steel used, or possibly a cost saving ploy, at the expense of the consumer, and a money maker for LR, but I would have thought they should be better protected and last more than 3 years. The exhaust was rusted right through. Hence the reason for painting the D5 boxes, as cars just coming up too 18 months old. I don't want a repeat of the D1, but the D2 and D3 also suffered from this. The D4 too, but not as bad. I rest my case!! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 23rd Aug 2019 11:51 am. Edited 7 times in total

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

The dual back boxes were on my car for a year from new covering 12k. Not a hint of rust or corrosion. Only surface rust is where the hooks attach too the rubber mounts under the car and onto the cat. The single one was on for 6 months with 6k, and again no issues. Replacement exhausts were also fine after a few years. Looks like undersealed with black paint as all the cars arches are covered in the same black tar like substance. Seems to me that been coated with a decent paint or better grade metal overall.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Not today, but on Monday my two week old D5 took me to a job interview. And I do mean it took me, cruise assist on the mainly motorway journey meant that I had little to do apart from paying attention.

Got the job, which I am absolutely chuffed about, which means the Disco is going to be a 75 mile a day car, not the 12 miles a day expected when ordering. Nice, I am going to seriously love putting miles on this thing in all weathers and in complete luxury!

DPF concerns well and truly allayed.

Oh and Tuesday saw the roof bars fitted, but no chance for pics yet.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Congrats DD, what are you getting?

Apologies a bit off track, but took my previous exhausts out the garage as putting them up for sale, as am picking up brand new car on 1st Sept as well.

Anyway just a comparison of how well these have fared compared to the D5 ones.

I remember the D1 that I inherited from my dad in my uni days, the exhaust broke off after only 3 years from new whilst I was in Turkey. With no replacement nearby the local chop shop simply welded on the back box from a normal car. Sounded awful. My point is that normal cars seem to be far better protected and undersealed than LR which are likely to encounter a whole lot more harsher terrain and environment. Maybe its to do with the different gradings of mild steel used, or possibly a cost saving ploy, at the expense of the consumer, and a money maker for LR, but I would have thought they should be better protected and last more than 3 years. The exhaust was rusted right through. Hence the reason for painting the D5 boxes, as cars just coming up too 18 months old. I don't want a repeat of the D1, but the D2 and D3 also suffered from this. The D4 too, but not as bad. I rest my case!! Rolling Eyes

Mazda CX-5, it’s got cameras, heated wheel, HUD etc. Didn’t want to go OTT as it is for herself to commute and leave it all day in a hospital car park.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well fitted this today. Took 15 mins to hide the wiring. The GPS signal has gone from 1 bar to fluctuating between 4-5 bars, which is a full signal. Best £40 I have spent recently. Laughing

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Very Happy
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Well fitted this today. Took 15 mins to hide the wiring. The GPS signal has gone from 1 bar to fluctuating between 4-5 bars, which is a full signal. Best £40 I have spent recently.

Shocked do I need one of those?

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum