Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DRM
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Service warnings

My Disco has just covered 4700miles and has now had its second oil and filter change, due to oil dilution. So it is on its third sump full of expensive low ash oil-just as well JLR are covering the bills!
    The software has been updated again, as the service warning went from “service required in 1600miles to Service required” in about 100 miles of driving!
    All this is well documented on the forums, but what is being done about it JLR? A raft of prematurely failed engines would not do your JD Power survey results any good, not to mention the bad press.
    Grounds for rejection? Censored
  • stick
    United Kingdom 

Is that 3.0?

Personally I would reject
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

Re: Service warnings

DRM wrote:
    My Disco has just covered 4700miles and has now had its second oil and filter change, due to oil dilution. So it is on its third sump full of expensive low ash oil-just as well JLR are covering the bills!
    The software has been updated again, as the service warning went from “service required in 1600miles to Service required” in about 100 miles of driving!
    All this is well documented on the forums, but what is being done about it JLR? A raft of prematurely failed engines would not do your JD Power survey results any good, not to mention the bad press.

What sort of journeys make up that 4700 miles? I've now done just over 8k and distance to next service is reading 4500, which I'm pretty happy with. I have a 15 mile (each way) journey to and from work every day over the Cat & Fiddle so engine get a good work out after warming up. There's probably a couple of 200+ mile journeys each month on motorways.

Adblue consumption is higher than I expected, but it's cheap...
  • Matt
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Mine went in this morning for the premature service issue. Just had a call to say that the software update they attempted crashed mid-way through which has "killed" the car. Dealer is in contact with LR to attempt some kind of resolution.

I'm supposed to be going away tomorrow for the weekend with a boot full of kit and two bikes on the roof so the dealer is frantically trying to find me a replacement.

Big Cry
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: Service warnings

DRM wrote:

I recommend keeping a little of your oil - withdraw a little right before service - and send it off to be independently tested. If you reject it, one test won't help the community much (unless you reject it for another diesel and post your experience...), but if you decide to keep it and this keeps happening, this will be valuable information over time.

The sheer variability of the mileage and driving conditions that seems to accompany these reports makes me think this is less a design problem and more a quality control issue with some component of the emissions system or fuel delivery system, which aren't JLR's, they're a vendor's, possibly a build-to-print part that was spec'd by JLR and Ford/Pugeot (if the 3.0L). If this was a design issue, one would think ALL vehicles would have the problem. But if they're sourcing parts from one or more vendors, perhaps the vendor (or one of the vendors) has a quality control issue.

Unfortunately this kind of problem takes a while to investigate and requires a large sample size to verify.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Faulty Component

That is probably a very good reading of the situation. Because on the DS they have just released an SSM for faulty SCRFs.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7558 It affects potentially 200,000 cars.

There's now this on balance shafts which affects all cars with 2L Ingenium including D5.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7555

The last one affects 400,000 DS and Evoques in the UK alone. It is gradually starting to make more sense.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

The two revised software update campaigns for this issue are now live.

Interestingly, this is clearly not restricted to the 3.0l.

N025v5 and N118v2 apply. The former is more relevant, and is the Independent Oil Dilution Counter Reset update. The latter is the Service Required' Message Not Displayed & Service Reset Function Not Working fix, and includes an oil change for some vehicles.

If you are taking your car in to have either or both these done, there are two other campaigns out there as well that are reasonably new: N135 - Air Suspension And Adaptive Damping (AD) Warning Message and N151 - Automatic Temperature Control Module Software Update
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

@winger - can you post N025v5 and N118v2 here?

Thanks!
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Like the Incontrol update, they provide no information other than the software update instructions, but now clearly cover both the D5 3.0l and 2.0l.
  • KWS
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Our D5 is 7 months old, has covered just over 10k miles on mostly A roads but with a few long motorway runs here and there (2-300 miles each). It has just been in for the second time to have the ‘Service Required’ warning reset (with an oil change and adblue top up each time), this last one involved a software update as well. Dealer says the oil has been diluted by diesel each time and the adblue is being used up at such a quick rate because the car rarely gets to do a 60/70mph ‘dash’ for long enough to run at it’s most efficient. So far it has cost us nothing but time and moderate inconvenience.

Bit concerned that the ‘Restricted Performance’ warning is still coming on (twice in the last 90 miles since I picked it up from them). Separate thread I’m sure but it’s also been in for ‘tyre pressure monitoring system fault’, ‘suspension fault’, rear parking sensors warning fault and don’t get me started on how utterly useless/much of a rip off the expensive adaptive headlights option is on the D5.

This is my 7th LR (3rd Disco) so clearly I’m a fan (sucker) but all these gremlins on this new car are hugely infuriating! Rant over. 🤨
  • JackW
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

My 2017 Discovery 5 TdV6 is at the dealership for service required and Restricted performance warning at 6528 miles. They are trying to do a software update. I had to refill the DEF at 5288 miles as it was giving me a 100 miles to no restart message. The service required message has been counting down since just over 6000 miles.

• Ray Lewis
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Just to add another voice and experience.. My D5 (TD6 HSE) dates from last august and I bought it in January as an ex demo with 2500 kms on. It now has just over 5000 and is booked for an oil service next week. It started giving the occasional 'service required' message but the interval to that service seemed to reduce more rapidly than my driving accounted for and then I was at the dealers for something unrelated, mentioned it, they looked and said it needs one now. Some software was updated whilst they checked...? Also, the service required message appeared continually on the app but only occasionally in the car itself.

Seems like my experience is well mirrored.

How do I know exactly which engine is in my D5?
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

You have the 3.0 Lion TDV6 (TD6 as badged)

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

Hi All,

I have had numerous issues with my D5 3l HSE since collection and the end of last April.
    The latest issue was the service warning at 6500 miles. Any way it went in to the dealers last Wednesday (saying service in 500 miles) for this and media problems, and also random boot opening/closing issues.
    I was told an oil and filter change was carried out and reset and updated, however the service light is still on and now needs a service again in 1200 miles? Also when I check on Topix my car has 4 outstanding campaigns- N025- oil dilution N071- spare wheel N118- service required message N135- air suspension.
    Why should the car think it needs a service again? Why would the dealer not carry out the other campaigns whilst it's with them! Or could they have done them and topix is not updated yet?
    So far the media and random boot operation appears to be ok after a couple of further updates but time will tell.

Cheers
    Dpetchey
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I noticed during a recent play with the configurator that within the details of the five year service plan it noted this is limited to a maximum of five services.

Is this new? Is this splitting out of the oil and service warnings done in order to push the costs of this design issue causing oil dilution onto the customer?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum