Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I think we've established the D5 3.0 does not have an SCRF system. Comparing an engine made by one manufacturer to an engine with a different cylinder count and made by a different manufacturer is not logical.

Based on the owner's info, the stop-start does not depend on whether a regeneration is underway, and in fact it states that it will not function only if the ambient temperature is outside a range, if the engine or "other subsystems" have *not* reached optimum temperatures, the paddle shifters are engaged, or a few other non-emissions related conditions are met. There is no mention of active regeneration.

Since active regeneration can *only* function when the engine reaches an optimum temperature, it would seem that the stop-start functionality and the active regeneration functionality are at odds in terms of triggers.

Until I stopped using it, my auto stop-start never missed a commute, and yet my distance-to-service dropped faster than 3:1 to miles driven.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Stop-Start Inhibit - 15 reasons

DR, check out page 166-167 of the TDV6 Engine Manual I linked on page 16 for more details about Start-Stop.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

VD Thumbs Up Thanks,

That’s cleared a few things up for me, I usually disable it, interesting to read that the bonnet open stops the function, but that then brings about its own binge, bongs and warning lights.....
    also that the temp of the coolant is as low as 20 degrees.

I kind of figured out for myself on my Touareg that using the paddles disabled the Stop Start and from reading that it appears to do the same, Not sure what most of it means but it’s good to get the official stance from the pamphlet.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

On our BMW 220i with the same 8 speed gearbox I noticed when putting the gearbox in "Sport" mode it disables the stop/start system.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Which probably alter the characteristics of the engines ECU creating higher temps prompting a regen.

I didn’t notice any of this whilst I had my Touareg, Miles just seemed to drop off the service indicator in accordance with the vehicles actual mileage accrued.
    So me whittling about premature engine wear in my D5 at 5K whilst blissfully racking up 20K in a Touareg which probably had Dilution is a misnomer for me.

That was the 262 SCR R line, and it guzzled adblu like Oliver Read 😬

• chicken george
    United Kingdom 

Tourag will have been an ealier euro spec so emmisions system less technical I imagine.?

My farm merlo forklift has a 4 cylinder turbo diesel. The dash display shows the restriction level of the dpf with an icon of 4 levels. Further icons shows when system is warm enough for a regen and when a regen is in progress. Regen takes less then 10 minutes once started.
    Using the machine enough in winter is more of a problem so there is a dash button which instigates a parked regen when needed. The machine sits at a 50% revs until it has warmed and revened.
    trying to ignore a regen causes a loud siren in the cab to sound at 100% level on dash display. Regens start at 75% display.
    merlo had to alter this warning volume as too many people ignored it and caused expensive damage.

No adblue on machine

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Re: Stop-Start Inhibit - 15 reasons

VeryDisco5 wrote:
    DR, check out page 166-167 of the TDV6 Engine Manual I linked on page 16 for more details about Start-Stop.

Ah, thanks, missed that bit.

Interesting though that my driving habits haven't changed, and yet after the first oil change and reset, the miles have decreased more slowly.

Prior to that first oil change, I can't recall a time when my stop-start *didn't* function - first vehicle I've had with that feature, so it was very noticeable for me. There are up to 8 opportunities (traffic lights) on my commute for it to turn on, and generally I'll catch 4-6 red lights on a given trip.

I'll start using it again for a while and see what happens.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It would seem that I'm going to hit my first service at around 9500 miles in my TDV6. Virtually all motorway driving, with some fast A/B roads.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Craigp
    England 

It makes you wounder what kind of driving style will enable you to hit the advertised miles per service.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Maybe tow a heavy trailer to make the engine work more? Or sand driving for a day once a month? If the latter is helping I'm looking forward to a monthly outing to Stockton Sand Dunes. Good thing I got an annual pass last time.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Craigp wrote:
    It makes you wounder what kind of driving style will enable you to hit the advertised miles per service.

I don’t see any of us getting anywhere near the magical 16,000 mike marker, to get near 10,000 is quite an achievement.

Thumbs Up

• Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Service light on at 6000 miles, managed ti get it to dealer at 7500 miles. They performed the oil Dilution update, changed oil and filter and reset oil counter but now showing as 8400 miles which is basically 16000 miles or so!!

SO looks like they are servicing in between and re-setting the clock to get to 16,000 miles!

DEF now showing at 2400 miles remaining so basically that's a full tank of DEF every 5,000 miles.

Most of the mileage will be back to dealer at this rate.

Hopefully these issues will be solved with the new inline 6 Ingenium engines.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Mine looks like it’s coming in almost on spec, I have 12k miles and no warning light yet, last time I checked I had about 4000k, so I’ll be at about 14-15k miles at service. Ad blue done at about 7500 k

I took delivery mid June last year. So touch wood all seems in order.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

@Blackfly So what's your driving style like? Lots of road trips at speed?
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

So, after keeping check every week of veh's mileage and the service due indicator i can reveal that all is not as it should be.

Last week i travelled down the M1 on tues 123 miles there and on Thurs 123 miles back. Total = 246
    Service lost in that week 1,000
    DEF lost 134 Miles

previous week, same journey 249 miles round trip.
    service lost that week 1250
    DEF lost 311

In a Month i've lost 5,000 Miles off my service indicator. in another Month it will require servicing AGAIN.

What should i do ? take it back OR just keep getting it serviced every 2 Months. With ONLY Mtwy driving 60 - 70 MPH, No stop start and no standing in traffic.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum