Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I made the mistake of letting my dealer refill the adblue, I had done it myself the first time but since the vehicle was going in for a service why not let them do it. It is not covered by my service plan so I ended up paying. Lesson learnt. Adblue is readily available out here so no problems getting hold of it although I did take a new unopened 4 litres worth with me on my recent 8k road trip. Didn’t need it f course but you know if I had taken it along Very Happy

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DRM
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Oil dilution

My 17 built 3.0 HSE has now covered just over 8000 miles and is now booked into my local dealer for the fifth time for oil service!
    It had its first/annual service in May and has covered about 2000 miles since. My previous Disco 4, euro6 spec engine, went a year between oil changes and def top up!

The calibration for HC dosing and scr is a cause for great concern with this engine/aftertreatment and I will be considering the route of rejection _ £65k for a car that spends far too much time on a ramp at the dealers Censored
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

19496 miles and no issues with my D5.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Which engine do you have?

I read somewhere that only the 3l engine is impacted - not sure if this is true. -too. Many threads to read
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Mines a 3 litre and it showed that I needed a service within the next 6k and I had not even done 2k at that point.
    I took it to my dealer last week and now, after the software update , it shows from the digital read out, that the next service is due in 15600 !!
    So now that I have done 3k already I reckon my 12 month service will be due before the mileage service is due.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
    I have the 4 pot 240 after having 2 D3's and 2 D4's ....the combination of over 600kg saved and 500nm means that it outpaces the former model with ease across the board. The only time I am really reminded it's a 2.0 is at tickover, low speed or if you floor it. It is very refined and well matched with the 8 speed box.

I thought the weight difference was nearer 200kg? On the d5
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Pcheaven wrote:
    Which engine do you have?

I read somewhere that only the 3l engine is impacted - not sure if this is true. -too. Many threads to read

Andrew has the TDV6

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Mine had oil dilution service at 11K, now going in for '1st' service at 16k.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

EMcC wrote:

My Vehicle only needed a 'Software Update' to sort out the false readings for servicing.
    The report states 'Re-set service Indicator, Oil dilution @ 5.1% No oil or filter required'
    Anybody know what the reference to the oil % means and if it is a dilution with something, what and how did that happen ?

Dilution % refers to the percentage of diesel fuel in your engine oil. Diesel fuel gets into engine oil primarily as a result of emissions control function directly related to engine and emissions system design, which in turn are somewhat dependent on vehicle platform configuration. Modern diesel engines have to tightly control the amount of oxides of nitrogen they produce as well as the amount of particulate matter (soot) they produce - and those two items are often in conflict with one another - the more you reduce soot, the higher NOx goes; and vice versa.

So...the 3.0L engine has to do something called "active regeneration" from time to time. This refers to scrubbing the diesel particulate filter, which is in the exhaust stream, by heating it up. In many diesel vehicles, this can be accomplished by just driving it for long enough at high enough RPM ("passive regeneration"). But sometimes the engine has to lend a hand. So, in active regeneration, the heat is produced by jetting a small amount of fresh diesel fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke, which basically causes the diesel to burn slowly (not flash/combust), and that burns off the soot on the DPF elements. Some of that unburned fuel remains on the cylinder walls and gets scraped back into the crankcase by the piston action. Over time this results in diesel fuel accumulating in the engine oil, which reduces its viscosity, necessitating an oil change.

The Discovery *estimates* the amount of dilution by how many active regeneration events it does, and then estimates how many miles you have left until your engine oil reaches 6.1% dilution, which is the limit JLR has set to maintain engine durability. Driving style affects how often the active regeneration must be accomplished, but you can read through this thread and others for a discussion that many believe the design of the 3.0L Td6 engine and exhaust system is such that passive regeneration rarely occurs and so active regeneration is much more frequent, thus resulting in faster accumulation of diesel fuel in the engine oil, in turn resulting in a shorter oil change interval.

IMO the jury is still out on whether the engine design is sub-standard for "average" use or whether the estimation parameters or software are just overzealous. My vehicle estimated I had hit 6.1% dilution but independent testing indicated it was only at 3%, for example. I will say that driving style has a huge effect on my vehicle - I just completed a 2,750 mile road trip, vast majority on the interstate with cruise set between 65-82mph and my oil life decreased at almost exactly 1:1 miles driven. Driving around town only, it may decrease by 3:1 miles driven or even faster.
  • Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Yulong White

New SD6 Discovery - Oil Dilution

I appreciate the SD6 engined Discovery is new, but does anyone have any knowledge on whether it suffers from the early service/oil dilution problem suffered by many of the TD6 engined vehicles?
  • phillavis
    United Kingdom 

Another oil Change

Just had my second oil change at 8000 miles on my 2018 Disco 5 TD6.
    According to the LR dealer this is supposedly due to my driving style and advised I should drive at least 60 miles a week on the motorway. However, did not suggest at what speed.

Has anyone else received similar advice?[/b]
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Re: New SD6 Discovery - Oil Dilution

Bigwhiteone wrote:
    I appreciate the SD6 engined Discovery is new, but does anyone have any knowledge on whether it suffers from the early service/oil dilution problem suffered by many of the TD6 engined vehicles?

I doubt any have been driven far enough to find out yet. I ordered mine almost as soon as the engine specification changed to MY2019 and it hasn't even been built yet.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Interesting they've dropped the Td6 from your configurator over there. The Sd6 isn't the new Ingenium inline 6, correct? This is the older Sd6 that's been offered for a few years?

If they've indeed already discontinued the Td6 then perhaps it will be reasonable to expect Td6 owners will get some consideration for the short service intervals, if only complimentary oil changes between scheduled service intervals. This limits LR's exposure on the issue.

Unrelated, I've noticed you all get Adaptive Dynamics as an option for MY19. Nice. Wish we had that option here - I drove a RRS with AD when we were shopping for a new vehicle and I was --> <-- this close to buying one of those because of that, but chose the Disco because it was a better value and better off-road.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The SD6 is not the ingenium. It's the V6 that's been in the Range Rover Sport for a while and an updated version (306bhp) of the SDV6 in the D4.

Good feedback on the Adaptive Dynamics. Mine will have it when it is built in a few days. Mr. Green

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Jay
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

At 2500 miles mine has just indicated that an oil service is due. Spoke to the dealer today and they stated is not a warranty issue and I would have to pay £166.

I said I am not happy with this and await their next response.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum