Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

6000 miles and It needs ANOTHER service!!!!!!
    To say I'm a tad annoyed....
    So.... it's going back in next week for:
    1.) second service
    2.) gesture tail gate investigation (i.e. It doesn't work)
    3.) tail gate repair (doesn't sit straight so needs bodywork repair and painting)
    4.) tow bar malfunction- second new tow bar.....

Is anyone else on second service at such a young age (4months) and 6000
    Miles?
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

7 months old, 18,200 miles, 1 x full service and 1 x oil dilution at 11k

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Daft question and one from sitting on the sideline but has anyone managed to reject a D5 cause of this oil dilution malarkie? It looks like JLR are seriously taking the peewee, like they are with the later D4s and their POS heating systems.

Just askin, though not read all 28 pages. Whistle
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I read a LR TSB (or other similar official document) that (to paraphrase) stated...

Vehicles registered before a certain date (sometime early in 2018 I think) sould get free oil changes if under warranty and with service plan because LR had "advertised" a 16000 mile service interval.

After that date, they started clearly stating that service interval may vary depending on a number of factors including driving style and therefore YMMV ("your mileage may vary") so tough luck if you need extra oil changes.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Driving style does not impact my reduced mileage to service. If anything it is much worst when on a motorway

Haven’t seen here that anyone has rejected theirs. Would be interesting

Gesture tailgate is Censored on a good day, and a ducking nuisance if you have a dog, as ours can open the boot whenever it wants
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Mightymildred wrote:
    6000 miles and It needs ANOTHER service!!!!!!
    To say I'm a tad annoyed....
    So.... it's going back in next week for:
    1.) second service
    2.) gesture tail gate investigation (i.e. It doesn't work)
    3.) tail gate repair (doesn't sit straight so needs bodywork repair and painting)
    4.) tow bar malfunction- second new tow bar.....

Is anyone else on second service at such a young age (4months) and 6000
    Miles?

3000 miles between services is pretty much the norm with dilution. That’s what I get
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine also seems to drop further if driven at extended intervals, I've stopped looking at mine to be honest, it's at least 2K miles over its 2nd interval and it's only done 6,500 Miles.

Fuel economy seems good, its running fine at the minute but in another 10K miles when it's due it's 1st interval service we will see what the dilution has done to the engine's Oil.

JLR customer services have stated quite clearly on a call that i recorded that there is NO detriment to the engine, its internals or running. There is no such problem and it's just the internet scare mongering, you only hear bad stories etc, etc, etc,

The dealer basically said the same thing, I doubt any of this will stand up in court, but i thought i'd try and protect myself from their failure to admit that there is fuel contaminating my engine oil.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    I read a LR TSB (or other similar official document) that (to paraphrase) stated...

You're probably referring to Service Compliance Notification JLRP00100 (July 2017) which has been widely available on the internet since its publication. Anyone can download it from the DS forum: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtop...215#p68273

If I had any money invested in a TDV6 I would be getting its oil checked urgently to see what the actual levels of diesel, soot and wear metals were. Until those parameters have been scientifically ascertained no-one can know what's going on inside one of these engines. The dealers don't have the equipment and consequently any comments they make are totally speculative in regards to oil condition and engine health.

Millers Oils in Yorkshire will do the necessary for a few cents under £30; that's money well spent if you love your car and want to keep it past the warranty.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I've had my oil checked from Millers.

I doubt very much my engine will make it to it's first service at 16K miles let alone to the end of warranty period.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Am considering a velar for my next LR.
    Does anyone know which of any of their models suffer from this. Had a quick look on the velar forum - not much there on oil dilution
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: Another oil Change

phillavis wrote:
    Just had my second oil change at 8000 miles on my 2018 Disco 5 TD6.
    According to the LR dealer this is supposedly due to my driving style and advised I should drive at least 60 miles a week on the motorway. However, did not suggest at what speed.

Has anyone else received similar advice?[/b]

It's not so much the vehicle speed as the engine speed and time. In other turbodiesels with a DPF I've owned/driven, you need to keep the revs relatively high (3,000+) for 20-30 minutes. This generates the heat in the engine and thus exhaust necessary for passive regeneration (cleaning the DPF through engine/exhaust waste heat alone). In other vehicles, they have provided warnings when this was necessary, though my Touareg 3.0L TDI only ever required this once in its 104,000 mile life. But then again, since it wasn't on a test stand, it likely never post-injected diesel fuel as the D5 3.0L does, and apparently does nearly all the time.

Haven't seen any lights, indications, or warnings in my D5 other than those lit when it's time to change the oil.

EDIT: I'm now at 1 year of ownership, a hair under 16,000 miles on the clock, and I just received the "Service due in 650 miles" notification due to oil life. Already booked for the annual service tomorrow. Went on a long 2,700 mile road trip a few weeks ago, it sat all last week while I was out of town on business, and in that time the oil life went from around 3,000 miles to 650 in less than 500 miles of driving. During the road trip, oil life decreased a hair over 1:1 miles driven. I've pulled another sample and sent it off for analysis.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

VeryDisco5 wrote:
    JonM wrote:

You're probably referring to Service Compliance Notification JLRP00100 (July 2017) which has been widely available on the internet since its publication. Anyone can download it from the DS forum: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtop...215#p68273

If I had any money invested in a TDV6 I would be getting its oil checked urgently to see what the actual levels of diesel, soot and wear metals were. Until those parameters have been scientifically ascertained no-one can know what's going on inside one of these engines. The dealers don't have the equipment and consequently any comments they make are totally speculative in regards to oil condition and engine health.

Millers Oils in Yorkshire will do the necessary for a few cents under £30; that's money well spent if you love your car and want to keep it past the warranty.

This document only mentions MY17 discovery 5’s
    Are MY18 3.0l also suffering?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I can't help wondering whether the oil dilution is a real-life problem. By that I mean that I'm not doubting that the oil is being diluted but rather that I'm wondering if for example, the SDV6 D4 also diluted it's oil but no one ever noticed because it just requested servicing on a fixed mileage and so no one ever worried about it enough to test the oil.

If the D5 had a fixed mileage / time based service interval and didn't estimate and monitor oil dilution, would anyone have ever known? Would it really cause an engine problem? Has the D4 been doing the same for the last 6 years and no one ever noticed?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    I've had my oil checked from Millers.

I doubt very much my engine will make it to it's first service at 16K miles let alone to the end of warranty period.

Knock on wood, but mine is running like a dream. Is yours suffering from issues?

I'll be testing my oil many times over its warranty period. If the next two tests come back with a lower-than-estimated dilution % then I'll be contacting Land Rover directly with this evidence. I'd like four or five intervals tested before I show them their software is consistently under-estimated the dilution %, perhaps resulting in unnecessary oil changes and expense on the part of owners as a result.

Last edited by DieselRanger on 20th Aug 2018 5:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

JonM wrote:
    I can't help wondering whether the oil dilution is a real-life problem. By that I mean that I'm not doubting that the oil is being diluted but rather that I'm wondering if for example, the SDV6 D4 also diluted it's oil but no one ever noticed because it just requested servicing on a fixed mileage and so no one ever worried about it enough to test the oil.

If the D5 had a fixed mileage / time based service interval and didn't estimate and monitor oil dilution, would anyone have ever known? Would it really cause an engine problem? Has the D4 been doing the same for the last 6 years and no one ever noticed?

Great question. And the answer is no, no one would know - and I'm willing to bet the number of engine failures on high-mileage D4s is low, so even if dilution is occurring, it's probably not hurting the engine all that much. The difference might be a rebuild necessary at 250,000 miles rather than 300,000.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum