Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

1863 miles and I have my first service alert!

Hopefully N222 will do it for me as it’s on topix for my car.

Jon
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I haven't even got mine yet and its scaring the Censored out of me. A mate of mine works for JLR and said its a real problem and wont go away with the current model, only when the 48V hybrid is introduced, The hybrid doesn't use the 48V to power a motor, it uses it to burn the carbon out of the DPF so even if you stop the engine half way through the regen it will continue where it left off. Relying on diesel to get the exhaust internals up to temperature only works if the regen process completes before the engine is turned off. If it turns off half way through the fuel that's been injected into the engine on the premise that it will be blown through the exhaust and ignited doesn't, what actually happens is the engine is turned off it sits on top of the piston and then seeps through the rings; and that's where the fight starts.

The bottom line is JLR know about it, won't / can't do anything about and the problem continues, He said it will happen to anyone eventually, even the long journey commuters, personally speaking I think they (JLR) are leaving themselves open to a major headache, especially with our cousins over the pond, can you imagine a Class law suit?
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

B50int wrote:
    1863 miles and I have my first service alert

Is that a record? Shocked
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Nope, there are cases of 600, 800 and "less than 1,000" miles.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

B50int wrote:

Is that a "Service required in xxx miles" or "I need a service now" ?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

IndusD4 wrote:
    Nope, there are cases of 600, 800 and "less than 1,000" miles.

You peeps have the patience of saints. Thumbs Up
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

It came up on the app when I got home last night. Starting up this morning, the car is saying in 950 miles. However at the rate it plummeted, I think that will be more like 150 miles...

Time to find out how good my dealer really is (and to try and get 18c with CarPlay working at the same time!)

Jon
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

B50int wrote:

Hopefully N222 will do it for me as it’s on topix for my car.

Jon

I've not had any false warnings since N222 was installed

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Just an info for you guys.

N222 ended October 31st.
    Since November there is N222v2. Don't know what the differences are, if there are any. But if you are getting an update (like me) it's going to be N222v2. Smile

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Bogblaster wrote:
    I haven't even got mine yet and its scaring the Censored out of me. A mate of mine works for JLR and said its a real problem and wont go away with the current model, only when the 48V hybrid is introduced, The hybrid doesn't use the 48V to power a motor, it uses it to burn the carbon out of the DPF so even if you stop the engine half way through the regen it will continue where it left off. Relying on diesel to get the exhaust internals up to temperature only works if the regen process completes before the engine is turned off. If it turns off half way through the fuel that's been injected into the engine on the premise that it will be blown through the exhaust and ignited doesn't, what actually happens is the engine is turned off it sits on top of the piston and then seeps through the rings; and that's where the fight starts.

The bottom line is JLR know about it, won't / can't do anything about and the problem continues, He said it will happen to anyone eventually, even the long journey commuters, personally speaking I think they (JLR) are leaving themselves open to a major headache, especially with our cousins over the pond, can you imagine a Class law suit?

You are correct about a regen that's interrupted midstream, if each cylinder does not complete an extra exhaust cycle before it stops. Thing is, it's not a mechanical system, it's electro-mechanical. As soon as you hit the STOP button, the fuel is cut off at the injectors, and each of the cylinders, no matter where they are in the cycle, continue with momentum through a complete cycle. So any fuel injected just at the moment of shut-off will get pushed out through the exhaust port, and no other cylinders will get their post-injection dose. Recall the Td6 is a direct-injected engine, so each cylinder has its own piezo-electric injector off the common rail.

In my case, based on actual oil analysis, the vehicle is overestimating dilution by between 100% and "infinite," i.e., between 3.0% and zero measurable FIO despite the indicator stating it needs an oil change immediately because it's reached its estimated 6.1% limit.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Oil sampling kit on its way from millers oils ready to do my own sampling and booked in on the 21st for N222.

How hard would it really be to have the regen initiation linked to sat nav. Then it would know when you are undertaking a journey ‘suitable’ for a regen cycle and avoid trying it repeatedly when you just pop to the shops.

Will give N222 a go before I get too dismissive but if the next service comes round after 2k I can see a rejection from another member of this forum!

Jon
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I have a June 17 HSE Lux, and I had this message at 4500, 9500 and again at approx. 11000 miles which was only 3 months after the annual service (9500). Called into my local JLR dealer mid October and much to my surprise they took the car into the workshops immediately. Got the car back 1 hour later with counter reset and advised that oil was OK. I now know that N222 was applied at that time. Ever since then, the service counter is now working properly, so hopefully all my previous woes are now fixed - juts need to get them to fix the problem with the Oil Level check which has stopped working Surprised .
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

B mc P,

Good to hear some positive feedback. Fingers crossed with N222 and I will keep the forum updated with my experience. Would be great to be able to start to redress the balance as it’s a brilliant machine otherwise!

Jon
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Glad it’s fixed for some
    Though I am happy to have rejected mine and moved onto a velar. It’s a much nicer drive. and the D300 gets great mpg - 42+ is very easily achievable
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

B50int wrote:

How hard would it really be to have the regen initiation linked to sat nav. Then it would know when you are undertaking a journey ‘suitable’ for a regen cycle and avoid trying it repeatedly when you just pop to the shops.

Jon

Regeneration is triggered by measuring pressure drop through the DPF, which directly corresponds to how clogged with soot it is. It's the oil dilution that's estimated based on the number of regeneration cycles accomplished (or perhaps only started...not clear). So, while the DPF regeneration may occur regularly, the rate at which diesel is actually infiltrating the oil may be different than what's estimated by the vehicle's software. That may also be why N222 is just a software update.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum