Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

unido wrote:
    What about the SD4 2.0l models?

No Idea, I very nearly went 2.0L before i purchased mine but after i drove one in fact two because i had to make sure as it just felt breathless.

There are plenty who don't report a single fault at all with the 2.0L engine.

I'm used to bigger engines though, V10, V8, so the 2.0 just seemed to run out of puff...

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    If your's is a 17 MY then i dont think there is an update applicable, the N222 version what ever it is now will not be available as your VIN pre dates the relase patch, in essence your operating system is different to the 2018MY Veh's. So it cannot be applied.

And i don't want to come across as alarmist............ BUT, with all the best will in the world, EVEN if your's does require a service at XY or Z miles and it does suffer from the dreaded Oil Dilution then getting anything out of JLR to even recognise the problem will be a miracle. The literature supplied to deaers from JLR states quite clearly that the customers driving style is to blame and that the customer must pay for the Oil & Filter.

Depending on how often your service light illuminates will determine how much extra the vehicle will cost you, Mine is illuminating as low as 1,700 miles and has even gone to 3,200 between services.

The issue according to JLR does not exist, which is not helpfull when you have to try and explain what is wrong with your vehicle, AND then wait a month to get it looked at by the dealer.

Hi,

I have a MY17 D5. Topix actually didn't show the N222v2 BUT my VIN is wihtin the range of N222v2. And I did get it installed. So I guess the MY18 and later info is just wrong. If the VIN is within the N222vX range it does not mater what your MY is.

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

what is the build date of your Veh ? is it an early 2017 mid or late ??

Maybe yours was built during the change over ? it seems odd that they randomly selected a VIN and drew a line in the sand ? we had one at work that cannot be updatred at all. The only patch applied was done before delivery and the sysyem would not accept any N222V1, or 2 ?

All the ones in the VIN range should should accept the update, the cut off at the top end should ? I am informed represent the 2019 MY chnage over to the 306BHP RRS Unit with the two turbo's.

They applied N010 before delivery. N020 after a service and hen applied N025 as a last ditch attempt,

The N222 version would not do anything as it would not accept any changes due to the differing software embedded within the veh ?

• unido
    United Kingdom 

Have many people said they have had no oil/service faults with 3.0 D5's?

How are people getting on since the latest software update, I can't see any negative feedback as yet although I am guessing its early days

also, is this fault actually harming the engine in the long run or is it more a software/tech issue than physical problem?

Apologies for all the questions but as a potential owner its good to know what you are getting signed up for.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Although I bought mine in April 2018 the VIN No indicates that it was built in November 2017. That could have been the reason I had so many software faults.
    It went back and forth a few times to get 'up dates' and a couple of oil and filter changes but now it has settled down apart from the irregular 'Clunk' in the central pillar on the drivers side when accelerating, braking and cornering. As this cannot be replicated on demand there isn't anything the Dealer can do Sad
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

unido wrote:
    Have many people said they have had no oil/service faults with 3.0 D5's?

How are people getting on since the latest software update, I can't see any negative feedback as yet although I am guessing its early days

also, is this fault actually harming the engine in the long run or is it more a software/tech issue than physical problem?

Apologies for all the questions but as a potential owner its good to know what you are getting signed up for.

I think the general consensus is that there is a fault or number of faults regards the 3.0L in the earlier vehicles, "SINGLE TURBO" The latest software seems to have delayed the on set of the service indicator illuminating. The reporting of the sequential urea nozzle counts occurences and every time it sprays it decreases by X, Injector sequence and something else all contribute to it's counting down.
    Some vehicles pre 2019 MY can have the patch applied and some it would appear cannot ? The reason JLR have informed me is that the operating system in the same vehicle is different in the early vehicle. and there is litterally NOTHING that can be done. and there is nothing in the pipeline to start looking for a resolution as the handbook states quite clearly that the driving style of the driver will result in an early service indicating.

As for harming the engine ? and the Dilution itself ? who knows, JLR are saying that there is no dilution whilst the dealers are saying that above a certain percentage of Dilution is dangerous ?

All i know is that the sound of fuel pooled up in sump sounds to "ME" like trouble, it will obviously degrade the viscosity of the Oil and its lubricating properties, shorten it's life span and increase wear, others believe that Oil Dilution is a myth and the fact that fuel can get in the engine is just not possible. Time will tell, but the fact that the manufacturer has put out specific criteria to its dealers stating that the customers driving style reflects the life span of the service level or length basically absolves them of all responsibility.
    The memo also states that driving the vehicle over it's indicated length "IF ANYTHING HAPPENS MECHANICALLY" will NOT be covered even when under manufacturers warranty.

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

EMcC wrote:
    Although I bought mine in April 2018 the VIN No indicates that it was built in November 2017. That could have been the reason I had so many software faults.
    It went back and forth a few times to get 'up dates' and a couple of oil and filter changes but now it has settled down apart from the irregular 'Clunk' in the central pillar on the drivers side when accelerating, braking and cornering. As this cannot be replicated on demand there isn't anything the Dealer can do Sad

So yours would be the 2018 MY then ? the updates should be the N222V1 then prob V2 if it's had several.

• Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Do we actually have details of the "wrong driving style?"

It's easy to say driving style is at fault but they need to follow that with . . .

Too much right foot
    Or
    Driving with revs below 2000 for too long
    Etc.

Have JLR given anyone a clue?

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I was told by my local LR dealer that I had bought the wrong vehicle for my driving style and that was why I was getting all the initial problems.
    When asked to explain his answer was that I was not doing enough long and sustained miles at speed, pretty difficult when I live in a village and the country roads do no lend itself to more than 50/60 mph but that is only possible when there are no other vehicles about or no likelihood of animals crossing the roads Sad
    I must say that driving style has been blown out of the water now as now that the vehicle has been back and forth to the LR dealer for it's 'up dates' oil and filter changes and god knows what else, it has finally settled down and now apart from the irregular 'clunk' in the middle pillar, drivers side, when accelerating, braking or cornering sharply, it is a dream to drive.
    On long periods at sustained reasonably high speeds (when allowed) I am more than pleased with the mpg too, having had 41 on one occasion and an average of 35 to 39 with my normal driving.
  • Labbix

When I did drive the car, we did multiple 500 km highway travels at high speed and still the same thing happened, the car was almost never used for short distances. And even to the dealer it’s 50 km.
    Still I had the early service. Didn’t get the car back after the N222v1, than v2 and even v3 update so can’t say anything about possible improvements as it’s still at the dealer for more than 2 months in a row as I refuse to take it back if it’s not working 100% correctly
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I'm waiting for JLR Customer Services or "Care" to confirm what the intended driving method is ?

Mine is the wrong vehicle, in no uncertain terms. The 130 Miles i travel regularly isnt creating the conditions required for it work.

The driving style is an attempt for the company to offload a burdon that it's created but refuses to accept.
    And i'm sure most wouldn't have purchased a brand new vehicle knowing that the service would be required at such frequent intervals...

Like most are finding, there's no problem with the vehicle itself, mine doesn't make the clunk from the B pillar, in fact it doesn't do anything untoward and is silent, not a creak or. a rattle, no untoward glitches except for the odd time the phone hasn't connected or when the Nav sometimes restarts, Twice i think in 6 months ?

I'll guarantee if my service level indicator was accurate my car would have more creaks than the mid west, the only bloody luck i get is bad luck !

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Mine is going in next week for a second oil change, "service required" came up at about 8,950km. They will apply the N222v? fix as well as the entertainment system updates.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Test your oil. I think you'll find, as I have, that the vehicle is over-estimating the level of dilution that is actually occurring. I'm getting service due notices at about 3,500 mile intervals yet my oil has virtually no fuel in it.

N222 apparently addresses this overzealous estimation...still doesn't seem to be available in the US however.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Dodlestonian wrote:
    Do we actually have details of the "wrong driving style?"

It's easy to say driving style is at fault but they need to follow that with . . .

Too much right foot
    Or
    Driving with revs below 2000 for too long
    Etc.

Have JLR given anyone a clue?

I've had nothing in writing just informed over the phone that a steady speed of between 40MPH & 70MPH must be maintained for a period of at least 20 Mins,

GREAT Thumbs Up Because all my journeys are done on MTWY's and are all about 100 - 145 miles averaging roughly 56 - 68 MPH so that's me covered there then.

Wonder what they will invent now to try and slither out of accepting any fault !

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

So on that logic, the D5 is unsuitable for any journey less than 13.3miles at speeds less than 40mph?

That makes it unusable for a good chunk of the population! On the M62 in the mornings I would be overjoyed to average 40mph... Thats why I drive to the station and take the train most days but then of course the D5 doesn’t get to stretch its legs at all Sad but I guess since neither journey complies with JLRs rules then the shorter journey is damaging for less time.

There is twisted logic in that somewhere Rolling with laughter

Mind you having said that, my last oil sample didn’t show significant dilution anyway, despite the car insisting it needed a service. Early service, and not real oil dilution for me thus far.

Jon
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum