Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

I found that using my phone as a hot spot worked fine until the car went to sleep and it lost connection as my phone was removed from the car. If you leave the dongle in the car and assuming it stays active then it should remain connected. The D5 never seemed to auto connect when I returned to the car and I had to manually connect each time.

This maybe an issue with InControl Touch Pro and could be fixed with the Phase 3 update that is currently available via the dealer.

I bought a Three SIM with 24GB preloaded for about £30 off Amazon and this works very well even on 3G. TBH, with the 4G saturation now and the number of devices using it, I rarely see much real world difference in performance between 3G and 4G. In fact in central B'Ham on Monday the 4G was woeful. Disabling 4G and falling back to 3G gave me far better data performance on my phone.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

thanks,

i have a feeling that i won't be able to even connect it to any wifi hotspot cos' it won't even have the hardware cos of the missing 4G slot etc.. :/ oh well i shall update once i get my hands on the car i guess

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Why won't your HSE have the SIM slot ? Mine has. Is the spec different?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

because of the market. don't ask me the details it's beyond me.
    i even emailed JLR, which btw haven't even bothered replying, trying to figure out why can't they give me the hardware which i'm actually paying for in the package (or at least in theory), regardless of the market. my mobile operator will happily give me a data sim for my car as long as i pay for it lol

if anyone can enlighten me (us) as to why... please do so. all i get from the dealer is.. not in our market (gibraltar)

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Ah. Very strange. I thought you were buying a UK car and importing it. Hopefully the D5 will support connection to a WiFi hotspot and you can use a dongle plugged into the car.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

na mate Sad it's built in uk (obviously) and shipped over Smile

i hope so too tbh. i mean it's not the end of the world but little features like planning the route at home and sending it over to the car is useful, besides the fact that it's a feature of the car. i would mind it even less if they enable carplay once and for all Censored

• achichon
    Gibraltar 

Ok, so got th guy to pdi the 18 disco i played with yesterday so i could look through the settings on the touch screen... and this is what i found regarding any type of connectivity..

Can anyone tell me if you get the same options or you guys with 3/4G slot get extra settings?

If you get the same i’m guessing that if i can source the center console part where the usb & 3/4G slot goes.. i can just get them to replace it & just plug it in (i’m sure the connections are still there)

What you guys think?

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

There’s no mobile data setting there. Only Wi-fi

Looks like you’ll need to connect to a Wi-fi network. I.E. a dongle.

But will that you get the Live Services ? Unless you add it as a option and subscribe to it I don’t think you’ll get anything. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

i wonder if the car would pick up a usb 4g dongle Confused and connect to the internet through it. i also wonder if maybe via the JLR software there are option to enable and/or disable the settings for the 4G sim, in which case if i could get my hands on the part that goes in the center cabby that has the 4G slot and replace it Confused hmmm luckily as i know the mechanics here well i can try and persuade them to let me have a look at the software and see what can be done hehehe

cos looking at the settings it says connect devices to the cars hotspot... but what's the point of having that option if it doesn't have the sin slot hmmm i'll order a usb 4g dongle and test as the guys said that with a little bit of luck the car might be here by next friday Shocked Bow down

regarding the live services... what r those exactly? i'm mainly just bothered about sending directions from home to the car and trying and get the in-app controls for Spotify in until the decide to enable CarPlay

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

What I find confusing is the screenshot says connect a device to vehicles internet connection.

That surely implies there is a Sim to provide WiFi?

The North America cars are I believe delivered with some sort of AT &T data connection?
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

that's exactly my confusion at this moment and why i'd like to know if everyone else's connectivity menu is different (the ones with sim slot)

i can 100% guarantee u right now that the car doesn't have a sim slot, so i'm wondering if i buy the part and replace it it it'd work... i guess there is only one way to find out lol

but i'll try a 4g usb dongle first i guess

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Yes, the connectivity menu is different, I did post some images after my V3 update.

Not sure what a dongle will give you other than WiFi in the car unless you have an option to tell the car that it is there?

Edit you are missing the option to use an external source.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

But Live Services is a subscription isn’t it ? If so it can not be added post purchase.

The menu above doesn’t have the mobile data option mine has so I assume it can’t have a sim fitted. Again, I could be wrong.

Will look at mine later and post a pic.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

Thanks guys.

I will keep looking into it & most importantly at the options available when the plug it into the JLR system see if there are things that can enabaled/disabled

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Here are my UK HSE InControl Touch Pro Phase 3 connectivity settings. Pro Services (traffic, route syncing, Live etc) is standard on the UK HSE as is the SIM socket for this.

As you can see one is for mobile data (SIM) and there’s one to connect the car to an external Wi-fi network which effectively a dongle would be or your home / work Wi-fi.

I would have bought your dealer would have the answers or can get them from LR. Also using TOPIx you can see all your options and standard kit fitted by the factory by using your VIN if you have this now. It will list the InControl features you have too I think.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum