Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

The basic touch screen is based on Bosch mySpin and does support CarPlay. The 10” Pro system I’ve seen photos with CarPlay and Drive buttons on in a Velar. These were not PR photos but someone who’s seen Velar at a launch event. Can’t track them down now.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

well then let's just hope that it's just as simple as a software update...

can anyone shed some light on my other question regarding the Activity Key? basically can you buy the activity key later on (having keyless entry already) or should i have ordered it from the go? Sad i'm not too bothered tbh

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I don't know concerning the CarPlay if it is only a simple software update. My friend has a Q7 without Carplay, wanted to install it and it was not possible because of the hardware, he had to change the full navy hardware.
    Concerning the activity key, yes you can buy it later
    http://gear.landrover.com/gl/en/discovery/...tiary-tabs
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

thanks.. i'm guessing that would mean having to dismantle half the car to install the sensor etc.. :/ knew i should have ordered it from the go Sad

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If you want it you will pay the double price

Wristband LR091580 £125
    Vehicle Preparation Kit VPLRV0120 £272

but installation is not that hard. You need only to install the sensor to the wiring harness as illustrated. But you still will need a diagnostic tool to configure the Activity Key System.

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....y/G2018161
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

that looks like a very easy install... my dad and uncle work at the JLR dealership here and i know the mechanics pretty well so getting them to do the diagnostics tool part shouldn't be an issue... actually getting them to install it shouldn't be one either.

looking at the prices it works out slight cheaper to order it now than to have ordered it xD anyways at least i know i can add it in the near future if i want to thanks!

• ukms
    United Arab Emirates 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

DieselRanger wrote:
    Apple CarPlay actually requires Apple-certified hardware and firmware under their MFi (Made For i) program. So unless JLR has bought and/or designed the head unit to support the standards that Apple mandates, it will not support CarPlay. If they have, then likely there will be a firmware update in the future to add it.

Android Auto is similar, but they're not as strict - it's more like your "minimum system requirements" statement on software you buy for your PC or laptop. It will also require a firmware update to enable, however.

I do hope they add this functionality soon. I had an aftermarket Android Auto head unit in my last vehicle. There is no substitute - it's easy to use, safe, voice control is accurate, and it doesn't require any stupid service plan other than what you're already paying for on your phone. I assume CarPlay is similarly useful.

Surely the hardware is MFi by the very fact it supports all the functionality of an iphone or iPod, for music, videos etc as well as the interaction between apps ?
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

One would think, but sadly those technical specifications are hidden behind Apple's walled garden, and you have to buy a digital identity token, apply to Apple, be accepted, and then sign an NDA to see those.

Not something that would put JLR off and they very well may have done everything necessary already.
  • Andhad
    Australia 

Activity key retrofit

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great information. I am about to take delivery of a TD6 HSE and was told the activity key could only be added to vehicles that had the gesture tailgate option. The sales rep at my local dealership says they tried to do it once before and it didn’t work, which is different to everything else I have seen. Has anyone actually done it yet?
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

from what i gather i don't think that the gesture tailgate is needed for the activity key. one things doesn't seem to me connected to another.

• Greenmac
    United Kingdom 

I can confirm that you can have the activity band without having gesture control on the tailgate as that is exactly what I have on my 2017SE
  • Andhad
    Australia 

Thank you for the reply, It will now be on my list of things to do.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

would anyone know if you could use one of these... (https://www.mymemory.co.uk/huawei-3g-21-mbps-unlocked-e3531-high-speed-usb-portable-dongle-modem-black.html , obviously with a 4G sim)
    in the Disco to connect it to the internet, seeing as my car will not bring the 4G card slot i am looking to see if there is an alternative to connect the car online and see if the pro apps will work...

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Why not try it with your phone as a hotspot first?

Then you can decide if it is worth bothering. Thumbs Up
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

yeah thought about that too... but wanted to be ready for when it arrives as i'd need to order it and get a prepaid sim too from uk as the prepaids in spain are absolute SH*T with like 4gb and in uk u get 15gb+ for the same price. anyways.. and i'm very impatient lol so i want to have it here before the car (if it works) but i guess i'll just wait Sad Rolling with laughter

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum