Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Carplay and other features question

Firstly Hello everyone. i'm new to the forum (don't seem to see an Introduction page) and currently awaiting delivery of MY18 HSE SD4 Loire Blue with Black Pack due around February hopefully.

so now to my question(s)...

in our market the InControl and apparently the CarPlay features are not available, neither is the 4G sim and WiFi etc... now i was wondering if there is anyway of adding the CarPlay?

is there like some unlock code and software download that can be used for this?

i ask because i have access to dealers hardware and software and i could potentially get the Code but apparently even with this code i won't be able to update the software to make use of the CarPlay feature even though my HSE should come with InControl etc as standard (if it went to say the UK or Spanish market)...
    it's really annoying and frustrating that you spend so much on a car and these feature are removed because "they are not available in your market" i fail to see how CarPlay would not be available everywhere :/

sorry for the long post/ ranting.

edit: forgot to ask... can you buy activity keys later on if you have keyless entry? or you must have bought at least 1 activity key to start off with when you bought the car? :/

Last edited by achichon on 30th Nov 2017 12:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's odd that just the Gibraltar market doesn't provide the car play etc, is there a reason for this? Surely these basic features should be standard across all countries. Can you not buy one in the UK and get it shipped or drive it to Gibraltar? I'm buying mine in the UK and shipping it to Cyprus for the next year before shipping back to the UK.

It might be worth asking the dealer why these features are not available.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

thanks Chrismcnaz

apparently it's something to do with contracts with service providers or something. i really find it really hard to understand. our dealer orders directly from UK factory but obviously they know it's coming to this market so they seem to remove those features. pretty annoying.

if i ordered straight from uk not sure if 1: i'd have been allowed knowing there is a dealer here 2: not sure i could have got a LHD one and 3: i wouldn't have got the discount from the dealer as i have family working there hehehe
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

We do not get Car Play in the UK? Big Cry
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

it seems it is an option for the 2018 in the uk and other markets. but unfortunately i cannot choose it for my location so trying to see if there is a way of unlocking it or something as i can get the code and have access to dealers software etc..
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Are you sure it is not on the UK configurator or in the PDF brochure.

Do you have a link to where you have seen this?
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

the dealer here piggy backs into the JLR DB and it appears as an option for the 2018 model. i can link u the local dealers site, which gives you all the options but then has a disclaimer that says that some features are not available due to the specific market.

http://www.capurro.gi/configurator/all-new-discovery

if you scroll down on the Options tab it's there.. Smartphone Pack

i cannot find that option anywhere else though... not in the UK, Spain or German JLR Site :/

but a friend of mine has a friend that works in JLR and has confirmed the CarPlay option
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

there you go, which site is that? UK? US?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

Thanks.... hopefully it will just be a software update i don’t see who it would need any specific hardware as most of the CarPlay units available atm only work with the lightning cable though more & more companies are adopting the bluetooth connection.... i don’t mine either way.

I’m also very surprised that jlr didn’t add a wireless charging “mat” on the gap under the center console or inside the hidden compartment in the center console or even under the arm rest in the tray inside. They really need to catch up in that department by the looks of it. Specially now that even the iPhone has wireless charging... oh well.. anyone tried the wireless charger cup holder thingy with an iPhone X? Lol

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • Tsat
    Turkey 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Car Hidden

Hello there;
    I recently joined the forum. I am owner of Corris Gray HSE SD4 from Turkey. It is very interesting that this tool is British-made and some functions are missing even in England. In Turkey, the car is sold in expensive countries from almost all countries. Even here, even if you do not get the luxury of the HSE model, even the Incontrol feature is not active. This is ridiculous to me. The money paid for Apple Carplay is probably not thousands of euros, or it is not extra cost because many of the features added to the writing are not related to car equipment. Also, in the Meridian sound system, many of the old Disco versions do not open in the service menu, or at least I do not know Smile
  • ukms
    United Arab Emirates 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Same applies generally to me in the UAE ...... most of the online functionality doesn’t work here ..... and the media system in general leaves a lot to be desired. I’m just waiting for my dealer to come back to me to see if CarPlay can be retro added even though Apple maps doesn’t do nav yet in UAE.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

LR were one of the original CarPlay supporters years ago. They’ve never supported it though. The hardware in the Disco Sport and D5, the standard InControl (Bosch MySpin) supports it. Pretty sure InControl Touch Pro does. In fact some PR images of the Velar show touch screen buttons to select it as well as the

If there is a smartphone pack coming LR should make it available as an upgrade for existing customers.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Apple CarPlay actually requires Apple-certified hardware and firmware under their MFi (Made For i) program. So unless JLR has bought and/or designed the head unit to support the standards that Apple mandates, it will not support CarPlay. If they have, then likely there will be a firmware update in the future to add it.

Android Auto is similar, but they're not as strict - it's more like your "minimum system requirements" statement on software you buy for your PC or laptop. It will also require a firmware update to enable, however.

I do hope they add this functionality soon. I had an aftermarket Android Auto head unit in my last vehicle. There is no substitute - it's easy to use, safe, voice control is accurate, and it doesn't require any stupid service plan other than what you're already paying for on your phone. I assume CarPlay is similarly useful.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum