Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

Posted my feelings on here a few times. Whilst I don't think it's as good as the D4 I wouldn't describe it as horrendous. I suggest having a good look at your nose weights tyre pressures etc. I don't think it's as forgiving as the D4. 2 ton caravan on a dpw (or whatever ) chassis, deployable tow bracket. So same set up.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Thanks chaps I have cleaned the paint off the tow ball as per the BPW/Winterhoff instructions and checked the friction pads, will inflate all tyre for heavy running and see how we go on Friday when we head home!

I do have to say I think this is Speed Lowering kicking in, which now happens at 65 mph (which I may well have been doing!) the car will drop ride height by 13mm so I think this could be enough to unsettle the rig?

https://www.landrover.co.uk/explore-land-r...mance.html

I will stick to 60 religiously on the way back and pray for an uneventful journey

I wander if there is anyway to disable SPEED HEIGHT?

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

OK I have found out something which I am slightly ashamed of but willing to post as if it help someone else it is worth it Embarassed

The deployable towbar (and I assume the others) are painted to prevent rusting, I did not know they require the paint removing and then cleaned with brake cleaner BEFORE use otherwise the hitch stabilisers won’t work properly and the pads will be contaminated .

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/how-to/h...st-use.pdf

On my previous tow vehicles the ball had always been bright metal and I naively assumed JLR had provided an anodised or similar being a more premium product, it isn’t, and I really think the supplying dealer should advise and offer to remove at pdi

Hopefully this will help someone else

Last edited by RB on 22nd May 2018 12:18 pm. Edited 2 times in total

• Dirty Trucker
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Ive noticed since I removed the paint from my ball,there is a noticeable creak when turning.obvisouly from the friction pads on the shiny ball
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

I’m no expert but learning quickly! From what I have read I would suggest cleaning / replacing the friction pads and degreasing the tow ball with brake cleaner.

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I clean the tow ball (removable type) every time I fit it to the car and use it.I use a green scotch bright

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

Seems it's only you RB. Laughing
    I have a boat trailer as well and that has a greased cup. So constantly de-greasing when using the van. Liberal amounts of fairy liquid and a scouring pad (Other brands are available) seem to do the trick.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Indeed, or everyone else is busy with the 240 grit Very Happy

Cheers

Rob

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Sorry to say, but i've never cleaned the tow ball at all on any of my LR's. I use the deployable tow-bar regularly and never taken the paint off, or cleaned it (apart from a quick wipe over). Not had any noises or issues with it at all.

...And what exactly are 'Friction Pads'??

• RB
    United Kingdom 

If you tow a caravan or trailer with a hitch stabiliser, when you lock the stabiliser down friction pads (like brake pads) clamp on the tow ball to help stabilise the trailer/van

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/friction-pad-replacement.html

If you only have a greased cup then probably never an issue for you Smile

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Ahh, thanks for the info RB.

Not something I need to be worried about anyway, the Horse-box I mainly tow has its own braking system using a spring-loaded hitch system.

• RB
    United Kingdom 

Well a few simple changes has made a SIGNIFICANT improvement

1) Cleaned Towball Paint off
    2) Inflated tyres for heavy running (f+r)
    3) Kept speeds down to 62mph
    4) upped the nose weight to 130kgs

I still am not yet as happy towing the caravan with the D5 as I was with an Amarok V6, but this is no doubt tainted by the initial scare, hopefully a few more trips will continue to improve things!

• Scriv
    United Kingdom 

Well just done a 500 mile round trip with my twin axle caravan
    Have a deployable tow bar just cleaned the paint off left tyres pressures as they where.
    It didn’t miss a beat at any speed and sometimes I forgot I was towing.
    I would say it towed no different to our rrs2
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I am new to caravans and towing. I have a question. I have ordered a very small caravan which is only 5m long and 1200kg. I have ordered it with AL-KO ATS 1300 hitch, another much more expensive option was AL-KO ATS electronic stabilizer. Do I need to add it to the order? Is it must have or something like that or it makes no sense with such a small trailer? (it is around 800 euro and it is more than 5% of the trailer price)

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Given the number of accident/disasters I have seen involving caravans, personally I would always go for the ATC options, they are not fool proof but do offer another level of safety

However I have to say that I previously towed with an Amarok V6 and was far happier towing with that than I have ever been towing with the Disco5, even with cleaning the towball, increasing the tyre pressures etc.

To be honest it scared me sh!tl3ss and have since sold the caravan and now motorhome instead!!!!

I hope your experience is better than mine, but I will not tow with the disco again!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum