Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• lipscow

Hi haven always had 21 wheels on my RRS was a little apprehensive about ordering the Disco with 22 inch wheels.

I must say very impressed with the 22 inch wheels gives the car a nice presence and no more than the 21 inch wheel for road noise.

They actually look like low profile so will need to watch the Krebs when parking, overall very impressed with the Discovery, Think I may have mentioned before only bought the Discovery until they launched the new RRS which they did on 14th May.

I have decided in the meantime not to order the new sport as I am loving the look and drive of Discovery in Carpathian Grey with the Black Dynamic Pack.

Bill
  • gavsta

lipscow wrote:
    They actually look like low profile so will need to watch the Krebs when parking.

Indeed, and no park assist, to.... assist

lipscow wrote:
    I have decided in the meantime not to order the new sport as I am loving the look and drive of Discovery in Carpathian Grey with the Black Dynamic Pack.

Wow. No better compliment from a prior RRS owner.

Changes to the Black Dynamic Pack is the one area I'm struggling with the Metropolitan Edition. The silver elements are ugly in comparison.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

lipscow wrote:
    Hi haven always had 21 wheels on my RRS was a little apprehensive about ordering the Disco with 22 inch wheels.

I must say very impressed with the 22 inch wheels gives the car a nice presence and no more than the 21 inch wheel for road noise.

They actually look like low profile so will need to watch the Krebs when parking.

Would value your comments here. My D5 rides on 20s, and I love them for the fact they seem incredibly hard to kerb! Literally, even when I've brused the kerb, the sidewall of the tyre has taken any pain and the wheel has remained immaculate. I also have to bump up a kerb outside my work to lock/unlock the gates each morning and evening - never had any problems doing this.

Have a Metro Edition on order. Already decided I don't want the 22s, and have a set of 21s spec'd. BUT, with your experience of 21s on your RRS, did they offer any kerb protection? And would you have worried about driving up and down a kerb in them to get two wheel up on a pavement twice a day?

Part of me doesn't want to de-spec the car to 20s as I know I'm losing a shed load of money with no return... but I do love their versatility and ride comfort. Would value your advice!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I’ve had 22” on my D5 for 25k miles and didn’t have any issues with kerbing.

But I must be the only person who finds the ride on these wheels…too hard. IMO it’s especially true once the tread gets down to 5mm. I’ve also had to use a lot more effort correcting steering on roads with lorry ruts, where the wider wheels seemed to be a mismatch with the rut widths and ‘ride up’ the troughs.

The other bizarre problem I encountered was the car doesnt sit ‘safely’ on a standard car ramp. My MOT was stopped and `I had to go to a garage with a commercial width ramp where the tyres don’t overhang !
    I confess I thought all MOT garages would have a full size ramp.

Anyway, I changed to a set of 20” + new tyres (still got the 22” in the garage) and the ride was significantly softer. The wife’s teeth fillings are feeling safer. Even my Indy service guy commented on the improved ride when he recently collected it. They can ‘ring’ a bit on bumps /holes but I’ve lowered the tyre pressures from the 34/37 normal running to 33/36 which seems to cancel that effect.

One final word on the black pack. Sorry to be a bit negative

I too love the look of the grey with black pack. It looked very sexy with the 22”. But after 4 years parked outdoors the black pack is ageing badly. It’s blooming low down, There are delamination / peeling signs. The trim round the number plate recess is lifting away from the side and there is a crack across the corner of the roof section (common fault according to National windscreen technician).

So my overall impression is with 22’ wheels and black pack…..don’t hang onto the car over 3 years!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Really interesting feedback on the 22s. I absolutely don't want a really hard ride... one of my reasons for having a Disco these last 12 years was the positive impact it had on my bad back and other joint issues.

Question is, do you think 21s behave closer to 20s, or very much like 22s? It's hard to know how much that little bit of extra depth in the sidewalls will have?!

(I remember buying my 2010 D4 and considering de-specing the tyres to 19s. It was ex-demo I bought, and I stuck with the 20s and they were fine. But now 20s seems small, and it's all 21s and 22s people buy!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • lipscow

Hi having had 21s on my RRS and now 22s on the Discovery 5 I have noticed no difference in the ride, my only concern was you have less tyre to protect the rims than on the 21s, I have had 3 RRS on 21 inch wheel and never damage an alloy in all nine years, what this space on the Discover 22s.

Bil
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info - please do keep me posted! And enjoy the new car!

• Craigp
    England 

Had a call earlier today from my dealer with the offer of a cancelled order due next month. My order D250 R dynamic SE. With electrically deployable towbar. The car offered D250 S no towbar but offered a after market may be available. Didn't go into the finance side as it wasn't what I wanted. So the wait goes on around 9 months now.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I cancelled my order back in January from a broker. Today I had a call from him offering me my D300 hse I had ordered with the same original discount 13.5%. The car has been built and is due at the dealership on 7th July. I have decided to have it seen as the new prices and lack of discount have made a new one at least £10k more. The only real bugbear is the lack of the interactive dash.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • gavsta

These really are strange times. As a comparison, I spoke with my dealer today, who haven't had any Discovery slots allocated since April.
  • conts355
    United Kingdom 

Do you think a lot depends on the dealership how many vehicles JL allocates them?

And then when they have slots available the dealer picks out the most profitable models first rather than 1st come first served ?
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I reckon that is definitely true about delivering the most profitable cars first. My order was originally made at the end of March 21.

• conts355
    United Kingdom 

Yeh been waiting 12 months for a standard commercial, surely that is the easiest model to manufacture……

wish you could check out what allocations your dealer has been allocated.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I have used a broker and they use Harwoods to purchase their Land Rover cars from.

• lipscow

Orders

That was a great result on your cancelled order, by chance what broker did you use might give him a call
    Bill
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum