Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Remote start indeed starts the engine but also runs the climate to a temperature set using the app and keeps the car locked. It will run for a max of 30 minutes (I've not tried this) but in practice even running the car for 5 minutes will cool the interior down from 50C sufficiently to be able to get in and feel comfortable.

I don't think the TD6 is noisy at idle so I don't see why you wouldn't start it while parked next to a house. I agree it is probably not as fuel efficient, but to cool the car down you only have to run the aircon for 5 minutes or so anyway. For heating I can imagine you need to run the engine longer.

My usual temperature setting:

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

to defrost the car and warm it enough to be meaningful, from a usual UK winter of about 0 to 2 degress in the morning it would need to run for about 20 mins, takes ages at idle to get much heat out of a diesel engine. my neighbours and otherhalf would not be happy if I did that every morning, whilst its quite a refined diesel, it still has a clatter in the silence of 6am. I wouldnt even consider doing it.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • RiverBlanche
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the comments Thumbs Up

So, In Control Premium seems needed and as a few SE's have it "possibly" SE and above UK wise have it as standard,
    we did use the FBH a fair few times on the previous car and as we dont really have neighbours
    it will just be when we are on a caravan pitch we might need a TinHat to speak to next door Laughing

Thumbs Up
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

they won't care, our Diesels are much more refined than the majority on caravan sites.... Laughing

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

From the brochure

Remote Premium 1 2 app provides upgraded information on your vehicle and enables you to
    interact with it remotely. Compatible with most smartphones, Android™ Wear or the Apple
    Watch®, this service includes:
    – Remote Lock/Unlock – Lock or unlock your doors remotely with the click of a button.
    – Remote Climate – Prepare your Land Rover in advance by pre-heating or pre-cooling the
    cabin, so that you and your passengers are comfortable from the moment you step inside.
    – Beep/Flash – This feature turns on your Land Rover’s hazard lights, dipped headlights and
    sounds an audible alert to help you locate your vehicle in a crowded car park.
    – Journey Tracking – This opt-in feature can automatically record your journey history
    including your route and mileage statistics. This information can be exported by email
    to use for expense reporting.
    – Vehicles Status Check – Check current fuel level and range, and status of door and window
    position and locks. See the last parked location of the vehicle and find your way back to it
    with on-foot directions.

1 Optional on S when Navigation Pro is specified. Standard on all other trim levels.
    2 Remote Premium contains subscription services that can be extended after the initial term advised by your Land Rover Retailer.
    InControl features, options and their availability remain market dependent – check with your Land Rover Retailer for local market availability and full terms. Information and images displayed in relation to the InControl
    technology, including screens or sequences, are subject to software updates, version control and other system/ visual changes depending on options selected. Mobile network connectivity cannot be guaranteed in all
    locations. InControl Apps and

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • Simon S
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

So is it just climate that is active if the vehicle is started in this way or do things like heated screen and washer jets / seats automatically start heating themselves if the temperature is appropriately cold?
    I'd value the heated seats, screen and washer jets above the climate control on a cold day Smile

Simon S
    3.0 HSE SDV6 Commercial in Carpathian Grey
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

No just the heating, I have often thought that it would be great if it turned the seats on and the heated steering wheel.

Now that would be luxury! Laughing
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

So the FBH has been dropped from standard on uk spec SDV6 engines? Have they done something different to help warm up? it’s been standard on those engines as far back as I can remember.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • RiverBlanche
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    No FBH on the RRS 3.0 SDV6 for 2-3 years now it is still on the TDV8 though

ISTR when it went to 306bhp they had improved the warm up period, the D4 still had it, as it was still 256bhp engine? something like that anyway.

Thumbs Up
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

What we need is reverse cycle aircon in the car, so you can use it to heat the car interior up independent from the engine warming up - like with cooling you'd get warm air flowing in a few minutes after starting.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Simon S
    United Kingdom 

Bit of a post hijack but does the remote start function also turn the light on if it’s dark?? (For example early morning would a remote start potentially shine the headlights in a neighbours house for 10 mins?)

Simon S
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

No it doesn't turn on headlights, the only thing that lights up is the dashboard and the buttons on the centre console.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Simon S
    United Kingdom 

Thank you!
    Trying to figure out parking arrangements prior to delivery...... is it just me that is preparing more than for the arrival of a baby!?!?!

Simon S
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Sounds perfectly normal to me,

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

RDR wrote:
    Does remote start via the app actually start the engine or just start the FBH like having the separate remote fob?

It starts the engine as there is no FBH on moet D5's it is available as an option.
    But beware the remote start is illegal in many places in the UK.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum