Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• globalste
    United Kingdom 

How long does your battery last when not using your D5?

I remember when I bought mine, that nearly every dealership I went to view a car the electric boot wouldn't open (a sign the battery is flat). Mine was flat when I went to see it as well, I asked them to put a full charge in it.

It's been fine to be honest, does the usual shutting down to save battery if the radio is on etc. but never had a problem starting it.

Last week it said "battery low" and it had been pretty much stood still for 2 weeks. So i rigged up my Noco Genius charger and it said it was <25% available capacity, I left it overnight and it ran fine and moved over into maintenance mode and then came up with a battery fault. So now I'm curious if I have a duff battery, I've emailed the dealership as battery warranty must be <3yrs old and mine is 3yrs in August, but obviously no one is there so no reply.

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

3 years? Likely prorated so not worth the effort.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I'm monitoring this on mine its 6 months old with <6k miles on the clock. Mrs RDR had to have road side assist attend as it had a flat battery after being parked up a day at work and now with the lockdown its only done <10 miles in 4 weeks i have had to top it up with the Ctek twice. The Ctek indicated it was <1/4 charged both times and i've charged it back to full each time. I know they suck power whilst asleep but i am worried my battery isn't working to spec.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Labbix

Mine was more than 2 weeks in an airport parking (outside as precaution not to drain it because of the tracker) and no issues whatsoever to start, but I regularly connect it with my CTEK
  • Labbix

Since then, it was quite often around 2 weeks without any movement, never had trouble starting it, car is now 23 months ‘in use’.

Left inside the garage I did have the boot refusing because of low battery though
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

The tracker will drain the battery, if the cars inside the garage, as it cannot lock onto any satellites and go to sleep.

Its constantly scanning for satellites and kills the battery.

My Subaru is dead after 2 weeks in the garage, even when i leave it fully charged.

Some dashcams may drain it prematurely as well, depending on how they are hardwired.

I have the dash cam widget that keeps recording all day during work hours, and only goes off, if the voltage drops below a certain level, which certainly helps.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Mine hasn't been long term parked, its done a couple of 4 mile trips a week for last 4, surprised me today after only 2 miles the stop/start cut the engine (and last week i spent 2 hours hoovering the inside)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • CRV Man
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

If you have tow bar electrics plug in smart charger and it will keep your car charged up
    Did this with my d4 and the battery was still good after 6 years
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I think i have a dud battery, got the ctek plugged into the tow socket all the time during lockdown. If I leave it 5 days after fully charging it according to the ctek and plug the charger back in the battery is indicating low charge. no locking or unlocking thats the car just sat still.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I dont intend to buy a smart charger, have the towbar deployed all the time to get to the socket and the have the charger sat in the middle of the drive in the rain (someone would probably nick it anyway) to keep the battery of a premium car charged when our 8 year old economy car can be parked for weeks on end and is still on its original battery. Its amazing the rubbish design and execution of so many things on the Discovery.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Im with you on that one, never had a problem like this with any other cars. Poor electrical management, bad design in the software and skimping on the size of the battery or a combination of no doubt.

MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Think its all of those, we know the software is flakey and repreatedly released without testing. Then theres the door mirror housings that go blue in the sun, the door handle caps that fall off when jetwashed....

• B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

My last D5 was parked in airport long stay car parks for over 2 weeks at a time and I had no problems when I got back with access / starting it up - this even includes remotely connecting to it from various corners of the world to check it was OK. I got my new D5 three days before lockdown so it has been sitting unused without any issues and only being used for shopping trips every 10 days or so. (20 mile round trips). I got an email from LR a wee while ago and they recommended running the engine for 15 minutes every 7 days, if it is not used, but I have never done that.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Have to admit i took mine for a 10 mike diversion to supermarket today, locked it down in to 5th and ran it at 60mph, probably wasnt long enough to clear dpf as expecting that to object soon.

• JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Mine has done three weeks without issue.

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum