Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• craigblues
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Thanks! Was more the wiring I was interested in. I’ve had Road Angels for over 10yrs. Wouldn’t drive without one now. But not convinced by the new one with dashcam. Seems expensive and not suitable. As not an ideal position for a dashcam I don’t feel. Plus the road angel pure heats up enough already as it is without more tech inside and hot summer. Ha!

I’m just going to have to be brave! And take some trim off and I screw some stuff for road angel and a dash cam in new car. Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Had the Original RA classic unit since 2003, the one with the laser golf ball. Was £400 even back then, 16 years ago. Stuck it in the van. Still working perfectly. Have had every model since, i.e. New, Professional Connected, Vantage, Gem, etc. Excellent bits of kit, like a second pair of eyes.

I dont need the dash cam one, as I have a Blackvue 4K in the D5. I think it will be HD at its best in the RA, and like you say, I think it's too low for a dash cam.

I have the Pure version 2, but ordered the new Pure Touch last week. Interesting as the Pure I have doesnt heat up.

It was the guy at RA, who told me that the dash cams with screens are being made illegal next year, hence was asking me if I had a dash cam, hoping I would upgrade.

I also have the RA Halo HD dash cam in my car, front and rear. Very good in my opinion and half the price of the Blackvue.

Only issue may be your heated windscreen, as I was having issues with loss of satellite signals etc. Had to purchase a booster antenna. The power lead is either 2 or 3 metre long. Can't remember exactly, but it's quite tight, after feeding it all the way around the windscreen, so I suggest feeding the power lead sparingly from the glove box Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • craigblues
    United Kingdom 

I’ll give it ago! Thanks! Hopefully I won’t get in too much of a tangle.

Just use fuse from glove box and then put additional cig socket on and put lead in. OR is there a converter available?

Yes they had a good offer last week 20% off I believe wasn’t it.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

No I just stuck the RA power lead directly into the cigarette lighter in the top glove box. No fuses or cutting off the end to hardwire it.

You have to careful as the later RA models have a 5v regulator built into the plug , so if you chop it off and hardwire it directly, you will fry the internals.

I had a cig lighter extension socket on the Gem. Plugged the lead into the socket, and just connected the neg and pos to the rear of the cig lighter. That way you wont fry the unit or void its warranty.

My car only has 2 sockets.
    The D5 has several, so no need to hard wire it.

With regards to the Front and Rear dash cams, I did indeed purchase piggy back fuses, which I then connected to the live fuses under the lower glove box.

You can purchase these online. I am sure I posted some photos under the dash cam section.

If not, I will put some photos up tomorrow if it helps Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • craigblues
    United Kingdom 

thanks!

Yes I meant "cig lighter extension socket" wasn't planning on cutting any wires.

How did you neatly get the cable into the glove box cig lighter?

If you do have some more photos that would be ace!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Can get the same online for much less if your thinking of hardwiring it but no need too in my opinion.

I just teased the wire in around the glove box with the plastic tool kit, so it's out of site.

Easy send photos as been over a year since I fitted it. Don't want to give you misleading info, plus give you as better idea, and I can't remember tbh Laughing

Hardwired the dash cams at the same time too as Mrs was moaning about the wires everywhere over the dash, as both RA and cameras were just fitted temporarily via the cig lighters the day after we picked up the car.

Did not want to go round the hardwiring route, incase we had to reject this car as well, having to rip it all out again.

Will send photos tomorrow Thumbs Up

• craigblues
    United Kingdom 

Ace Thanks!

If you could send me some photos that would be amazing!

Going to go out there now and have a look.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

No problem.
    Just a pity you can't attach videos on here, as be alot easier than taking lots of photos.
    Maybe possible for site admin to add a video facility, next too the photos option? Thumbs Up

• craigblues
    United Kingdom 

Any luck with those pictures @roadrunner ? Very Happy Very Happy
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Sorry phone battery died last night, just after I sent the USB charging rate photos. Left the charging lead in the car by mistake as was checking out Android Auto yesterday.

Here you go Thumbs Up

Top glove box. As you can see the cable is then run down the side, between the plastic fascia. I used the plastic tool to gently force the cable between the gap.

This is immediately below the glove box, where the cable is dropped, and wedged between the plastic trim. It's just above the curry hook, which you can see in the photo. Cable is then run horizontally from right too left all the way along the length of the glove box, until you get it to the bonnet catch.

You can just about make out where the wiring has been fed. Not visible when sitting in the passenger seat, as its well hidden, and no chance of someones shoes catching the wire.

Just above the bonnet catch, the cable was then routed upwards towards the front A pillar. (I can't remember if the rubber trim was pulled back to feed the wire through, as I may be getting confused with the dash cams wiring, or with my car, but it rings a bell). You will have a better idea when you get to this stage.

Took the bottom glove box out, for easier access to the fuse box, as had to hard wire both the dash cams as well, at the same time.

Cable was then routed around the bottom of the A pillar, and along the bottom of the windscreen, towards the RA windscreen mount. Was wedged neatly between the panels, using the plastic tool.

Had gently prised off the A pillar trim, as dash cam wiring ran from the fuse box behind the lower glove box, and fed all the way up the A pillar, and along the top of the windscreen trim, and tucked neatly behind the headliner, until it reached the rear view mirror, where the dash cam is situated. Be careful as it also houses the airbag module.

Sorry that's as about as clear as I can make it. Like I mentioned yesterday, pity no video facility available, as be alot easier.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Afternoon walk, nice and quiet, particularly as daughter - back of her in distance, had decided it was cool to leave me behind. Typical Norse attitude!

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Dangerdave, Glad to see you've brought the thread back to the intent of the first post Laughing

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Here’s another place I was at today.

I’ll give you a clue, they filmed Hamish MacBeth and The Wicker Man here, well parts of it. Laughing

• craigblues
    United Kingdom 

Sorry boys and girls! Mainly my fault. Went off on a tangent. So to make up for it!

Here are a couple of pics! I’ve just spent 3 days (long days) making my Disco look even more amazing! Machined all surfaces so they are almost mirrors! The paint fleck is now unreal. The pearl really pops now! Along with the ceramic coating it will be a dream to keep this way for a number of years!!

I’ll write a full post another time! Very Happy Very Happy

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Agh, the return of the silver wheel nuts! Shocked
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum